games loading and saving slow after black out

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
kschindl

games loading and saving slow after black out

Post by kschindl »

Lately there was a power blackout.
Since then the games (ootp22, dungeonsiege) take a long time to load and saving the game (dungeonsiege, but not ootp) take an several minutes.
the game itself is on an ntfs drive, while the save is in the .wine folder on an ext4 drive.
filecheck (chkdsk /f resp. e2fsck -pvfc) did not show any issues.
checking the firmware settings i could not find anything which is not as it should be.
i am using an nvidia card, driver 510, latest for this card.
the machine is old, but i normally use it for work and some windows games and used to work fine before this power outage.
the issue is with wine only, ubuntu 21.10 has no problems (using eclipse, libreoffice, firefox and thunderbird)
any help to solve this mistery (to me) is appreciated.
kschindl

Re: games loading and saving slow after black out

Post by kschindl »

To add to the mystery
after one week playing with this terrible performance, now after putting the issue on the forum and since 2 days it is back too normal.
i only can suspect it has something to do with the nvidia card settings. i changed from performance to graphics. the issue is, that i did that before, rebooted and it was still slow loading, but next day the game loading and saving is normal.