Wine, Gamepass and the MS Store

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
here
Level 2
Level 2

Wine, Gamepass and the MS Store

Post by here »

Quite a lot of games are available via Microsofts Gamepass.
I was trying to see how well they would work with wine.
I got hit by a brick ton of issues and i was wondering if Wine will attempt to work that out

The XBox App itself can't be copied over from the NTFS Partition of a Windows 10 installation, because of reparse points that are not supported by default in ntfs-3g. APPEXECLINK seems to be an issue, even with a modern Kubuntu 22.04 image.

Installing stuff from the ms store by downloading the appx bundle and msixbundle files via third party services seems to be also a problem as we don't have a proper installer for these files and can only hope to extract these special kind of zip archives and hope for the best.

Is that something that is being worked on for the future?
madewokherd
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Wine, Gamepass and the MS Store

Post by madewokherd »

I don't think it makes much sense as long as the only supported way to obtain the software is using proprietary code that's part of Windows.
here
Level 2
Level 2

Post by here »

Waiting for MS won't work though
SnaakseKaas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SnaakseKaas »

Crossover has support afaik If you desperate and willing to pay up. I don't do proprietary junk so havn't tested. I do know it provides a free trial and is on the AUR.
madewokherd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by madewokherd »

I don't think that's true, certainly there's no support for UWP applications. If it did have such a thing, it'd be in the modified wine tree which is LGPL and publicly available.