wine: could not load kernel32.dll, status c0000135

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
malonn
Level 2
Level 2

wine: could not load kernel32.dll, status c0000135

Post by malonn »

I ask for help with the topic error I'm getting. I'm trying to build my prefix. Just running winecfg, but I get that error. I've net searched a bit, searched these forums a bit, and nothing fixes it. I don't have a default prefix (~/.wine), I've tried creating one; trying my custom prefix. Deleting the default prefix and creating my prefix. I've tried exporting my prefix. I've logged out and back into the OS. I've rebooted.

Any ideas? It would be nice when this happens again, to have a fix that works. This has happened to me before, but deleting the deafult prefix fixed it. Like I said, I don't have a default prefix.

The only tidbit I can give is that I accidentally overwrote the prefix I want with a different version of Wine (I have multiple on my system). I want this prefix to use Wine 7.3 dev (which it was when I accidentally overwrote with Lutris Wine staging 7.2). Since I overwrote the prefix, I get that error and can't get rid of it.
malonn
Level 2
Level 2

Re: wine: could not load kernel32.dll, status c0000135

Post by malonn »

Heck, people. I had a new idea after I posted this. What if I write my prefix with the build I overwrote my good prefix with (staging 7.2 overwrote dev 7.3, so I built a clean staging 7.2), then deleted it, then tried to build my desired prefix. That worked! I think the time I overwrote, it didn't build right.

So, I'm back in business. I guess this post serves as useful info for those who get the error I had to troubleshoot with.

(If I'm making any sense to people)