Need help understanding Wine7 support for 32-bit applications

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
tayarani

Need help understanding Wine7 support for 32-bit applications

Post by tayarani »

Hi,

The Wine7 announcement page calls out "64-bit Windows-on-Windows (WoW64) architecture is implemented". While I understand it's not completely done, I would like some help understanding how it will work.

Specifically, can someone confirm if with Wine7 we still need to compile for wow64 (i.e., build Wine 64-bit with --enable-wine64, then build wine 32-bit with --with-win64)? Or will Wine7 only require building Wine 64-bit and the rest in thunked internally?

Does anyone know what the current state is? Have you tried running 32-bit applications with Wine7?

Thanks!
tayarani

Re: Need help understanding Wine7 support for 32-bit applications

Post by tayarani »

For anyone coming across this, after doing some digging in the source code it seems that (when ready) the new wow64 will allow loading 32-bit DLLs in wine64. Calls made to the 32-bit DLLs are then thunked in the 64-bit .so unix lib, which invokes the 64-bit counterpart of the function. See functions that start with wow64_xxx as examples that thunk the args and call xxx.