Some applications stopped working recently

Questions about Wine on Linux
Svinpole

Some applications stopped working recently

Post by Svinpole »

Hello! I ran into a problem.

First. After some months long hiatus, I was trying to run a Windows program, but it did not work. Then tried others, nothing happened. No window, no error message, anything. Even in a terminal nothing appeared when issuing commands like 'wine --version'. This was resolved by deleting the .wine directory in my home folder, then letting Wine re-configure itself. Since all my Windows applications are in a portable form, I did not have to reinstall them.

After that was done, I tried again. This time some programs worked, like 7-Zip and Notepad++. However, I found that the more graphics oriented ones like WinVICE and Photoshop do not. I thought that maybe DirectX is to blame, so I installed all kinds of DX related packages trough Winetricks. It did not help.

Then I found that if try to run them trough Q4Wine menus, it notes 'exit code: -1' in the status bar a second after I double-clicked on a program's icon. On the logging page of Q4Wine, the STDOUT and STDERR sections have these messages in common:
MESA-INTEL: warning: Ivy Bridge Vulkan support is incomplete
X Error of failed request: GLXBadFBConfig
Major opcode of failed request: 152 (GLX)

So it may be a video driver problem? Is this a way of telling that my computer is obsolete?

I am using an old laptop from ~2011 (Intel QM77 Express Chipset)
Wine: v6.0.2
DrunkenJack
Level 2
Level 2

Could it be because of updates (with breaking changes)?

Post by DrunkenJack »

Did this happen after an update to Wine version 6.0.2 (from 6.0.1?) or some other important system programs or libraries?
Bamm
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Some applications stopped working recently

Post by Bamm »

Which version of Photoshop were you trying? For me, only CS2 and lower seems to work on Wine.
DrunkenJack
Level 2
Level 2

Did the windows apps work before?

Post by DrunkenJack »

A more important question would be: Did the apps you tested even work before with Wine or was it the first time you tested these apps? (Wine can have regressing bugs) However, newer and more complex applications will not run in many cases because of newer APIs.
You can look at the WineHQ App Database for the apps you're trying to run and even report there if you like.
Svinpole

Post by Svinpole »

Yes, all of them worked on this setup. The last time that I surely remember using applications in Wine was around april/may. I don't know what was the version of Wine at the time, or when was it updated to the current one.
Svinpole

Post by Svinpole »

But after searching some, I found that my problem is pretty much the same as there
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35943
Topic: GLXBadFBConfig (by crispycat)

The same solution worked too, although it's a temporary one.