Wine Steam not working

Questions about Wine on Linux
RazgrizPie

Wine Steam not working

Post by RazgrizPie »

I installed Steam with both Wine and Lutris on POP!_OS but the Store, Library, Comunity and User tabs don't load (all i get is a black window), i tried running Steam with "wine ./steam.exe -no-cef-sandbox" but it didn't work, what should i do?
ssmithterrry

Re: Wine Steam not working

Post by ssmithterrry »

Hi. Were you able to fix this problem? I also had this situation. Maybe you know how to decide.
gustavopinent

Post by gustavopinent »

That's the US$ 49,95/year question. If you buy Crossover, will run normally. But trought pure wine, I could not make it work... yet.

Also you can install Steam trought PlayOnLinux and will run but without the inner content of the window, that is some kind of xhtml browser. But you will be able to install and run games by changing the display to a compact mode - shows only a list of games. Better than nothing.

Now, I didn't give up of making Steam works in pure wine, but I still have to make work my OpenGL - baby steps. I did give up on PlayOnLinux and Crossover, now I will have to learn how to make it work in command line...

I'll be back!
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

Steam uses CEF and that has issues hooking wines ntdll exports along with the other issues.

For now Steam won’t have functional CEF without hacks.
gustavopinent

Post by gustavopinent »

Gcenx wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:57 pm Steam uses CEF and that has issues hooking wines ntdll exports along with the other issues.

For now Steam won’t have functional CEF without hacks.
I don't mind hacks! Please, continue... or gives a light - where can we find qualified information of how to make it work?
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

Another option is to use the Linux Steam client and enable Proton which will use wine* to run Windows games that don't have a Linux port.

* a bundled and modified version of wine so don't expect support at winehq