TLS 1.2 error when activating Scrivener

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Bumblewoolfy

TLS 1.2 error when activating Scrivener

Post by Bumblewoolfy »

I saw a previous post here that had the same issue of activating Scrivener. I followed the solution to it, making sure to install .NET 4.8, but it still gives me the "Please enable TLS 1.2 on this machine" error.
Screenshot_20211120_153955.png
I've tried installing Scrivener and .NET 4.8 in both 32-bit and 64-bit architecture, yet the error persists. Any ideas on how to resolve this?
parkernathan
Level 2
Level 2

Re: TLS 1.2 error when activating Scrivener

Post by parkernathan »

Did you manage to get anywhere with this? I also will need to activate Scrivener and Scapple on Linux on WINE?

In my copy, I had it run the license code finder to find my Mac's license code so I can do the crossgrade to the Windows version, and it came back not being able to find it. So it seems there is some form of Internet-type issue such as TLS. I did set Windows version to 10 to be on a supported "Windows" version.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

That seems strange as TLS support in wine is handled by gnutls, so unless wine was compiled without gnutls that makes little sense
parkernathan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by parkernathan »

I've been told by Scrivener Support I need to run Scrivener as Administrator in order for the license code to take. Posted another thread about asking how to do this. I'll keep you posted how it goes.
parkernathan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by parkernathan »

How do we check to ensure GnuTLS is installed?
parkernathan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by parkernathan »

Here's what worked for me:

1. Update WINE to version 7
2. Install winetricks (I installed it from my Linux Mint Software Center)
3. Open Terminal and run WINEPREFIX="/path/to/wine/instance" winetricks
4. Select "Install Windows Component or DLL" (if you don't see it, select "Install and Application", then go back, then you should see it
5. Install DotNet48 (.NET 4.8)

Then re-try activation. Took flawlessly for me.