Can't run wine as separate user

Questions about Wine on Linux
akuma

Can't run wine as separate user

Post by akuma »

Hello,

I cannot run wine under a separate user, specifically initializing a prefix with winecfg. Winecfg becomes stuck indefinitely at the initial "...[prefix] is being updated, please wait..." prompt. I have tried with many different commands and did quite a bit of Googling to try and figure out what wine needed, but there aren't a lot of hits and nothing seems to work anyway.

I am not new to Linux and know how to run applications as other users, although I am kind of new to wine. All the same I would kindly ask that can you confirm you are able to run winecfg as another user yourself before replying with possible fixes. This used to work in the past but it has been a couple of years.

At first I thought it was some variable missing or not set properly in the environment, and it could still be, but I haven't been able to figure it out if so. Even if I use su -m and fixup a couple of obvious vars such as HOME, it doesn't make a difference and has the same behavior where it gets stuck at the prompt.

I am on Arch, using Gnome. Everything is updated. Problem persists with wine or wine-staging.

I would appreciate any kind of resolution, I am not interested in running wine as my default user and am trying to move more stuff off my virtual machines.

Thanks,