State of Microsoft Visual C++runtime library replacement

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
1es1_weaver

State of Microsoft Visual C++runtime library replacement

Post by 1es1_weaver »

I have read here https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... n&iId=5766
NOTE: There is an ongoing effort in Wine to provide a complete Microsoft Visual C++runtime library replacement - removing the need of installing the Microsoft VC++ redistributables packages. This is a work in progress hence you might still need to install Microsoft VC++ runtime.
Is there any information if it's still going at all, or any way to track progress?

I was trying in wiki, bugzilla, source..Couldn't find more info. :?
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Re: State of Microsoft Visual C++runtime library replacement

Post by spoon0042 »

There used to be a sort of "progress" page but I think it was removed for being neither particularly accurate nor useful.

Wine is still under fairly constant development though. Unfortunately there's really no way to know other than to just try it. Best practice would be to install the current devel version of wine (or staging, though afaik there aren't any VC specific patches), create a test prefix, and install your app. If it works, great. If not you could always file a bug.
1es1_weaver

Post by 1es1_weaver »

Not quite what i've exepected, but thx for answer :)

Still it doesn't answer directly if work is actually done at all, i figured it would be implement as something like Mono...
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

The various msvc dlls are implemented as builtin dlls right in the wine source. You can poke around the git repository and see what's happened lately like here: https://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git/ ... lls/msvcrt

The thing is the devs can't really know if something needs work unless someone reports a problem. This can include functions that wine hasn't implemented until some app is found that needs them. Like the goal has never been to implement every msvc dll completely as I understand it. Hopefully that makes things clearer.
1es1_weaver

Post by 1es1_weaver »

spoon0042 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:33 pm the goal has never been to implement every msvc dll completely as I understand it. Hopefully that makes things clearer.
Oh, if that's so - totally makes sense now, thank you :)
biljiczop

Post by biljiczop »

Is there any information if it's still going at all, or any way to track progress?