Compiling wine as a monolithic application?

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
LonnieTC

Compiling wine as a monolithic application?

Post by LonnieTC »

Hi All,

I have been watching Wine for a number of years and it has really grown into something wonderful.

Right now, I am working on a small project about small footprint systems and am really interested to know if wine could be compiled into a single monolithic application engine that has no external dependency libraries from the host OS (i.e. mainly just a single wine-monolithic application that can be run).

The reason for this is that I am also experimenting with Unkernels and am going to try, as a follow on if this first step is successful, to compile the monolithic version of wine with a Library OS to make it run with a Unikernel on bare metal just to see if it is possible and load up some simple Windows App for testing inside.

Of course, I am aware of ReactOS, GreenTea OS, and similar, but I think that it would be pretty cool and useful to have a Wine/Unikernel combination setup and running as well since those other projects are still a VERY long ways from being useful, in my humble opinion.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers and have a great weekend.