wine applications always on top

Questions about Wine on Linux
savelov
Level 2
Level 2

wine applications always on top

Post by savelov »

Recently, starting around with wine 6.0, windows applications (such as Samotour, written in Delhi) started behaving like always on top - the scenario is as follows -
1) you launch wine app
2) in another window you launch firefox
3) you open child window in wine application that is requesting some input
4) you switch to firefox, you see the firefox windows, wine application is now not visible, hidden under the firefox window
5) you scroll firefox window, but apprently when mouse it pointing at some coordinates, potentially the ones that are matching the input form on the wine application, wine application appears on top of firefox by itself, grabbing input.
I see also similar reports - that makes me feel that I am not alone with this issue
https://www.reddit.com/r/gnome/comments ... ?context=3
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-sh ... ssues/3533
do we have a bug open for that?
savelov
Level 2
Level 2

Re: wine applications always on top

Post by savelov »

checked against version 5.0.4, which I installed from winehq - this wrong behaviour is not happening, however the wine application is not appearing on taskbar, but allows to be switched via alt-tab

savelov
Level 2
Level 2

Post by savelov »

Finally managed to isolate the issue to gnome version 3.38.3 (ubuntu 20.10), after upgrade to 3.38.5 (ubuntu 21.04) this does not happen anymore
BatRamboZPM

Post by BatRamboZPM »

I had the same problem in one of my WINEPREFIXes. The solution I found is to use winetricks to change some settings inside the broken WINEPREFIX.

Here are the changed settings:

vd=off
usetalefocus=disabled

I'm not sure witch one solved my problem, but these are default settings, so do it without worries.
binarynoise
Level 1
Level 1

Post by binarynoise »

Are you sure it's usetaelfocus and not usetakefocus ?