Macbook M1 and Wine 6.0 or 5.0

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
alifidn
Level 1
Level 1

Macbook M1 and Wine 6.0 or 5.0

Post by alifidn »

Hello everyone! I am trying to play windows games on my Macbook M1 BigSur like The Crew 2, for example. I was wondering if the Wine 5.0 works with my platform or do you guys know when will the 6.0 will be available to download as a stable version exactly. Thank you so much.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Macbook M1 and Wine 6.0 or 5.0

Post by Gcenx »

For any kind of support on the M1 you’d require wine-6.1 but that will only support 64Bit Windows binaries.

Your better purchasing CrossOver that supports running 32 & 64Bit Windows binaries on the Apple M1 systems.

Edit:
There currently no Winehq package maintainer for macOS, the closest thing you’ll find is the packages I provide via https://github.com/Gcenx/macOS_Wine_builds
alifidn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alifidn »

Thank you for your reply. But I read an article that 6.0 was supporting M1? IS 6.1 will be available soon as a stable package, if you know let me know. Im very new to these stuff, excuse my questions by the way.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

What ever you read that claimed wine-6.0 works in the Apple Silicon (with patches) was wrong, I’ve already provided Wine-6.1 packages as explained above only wine64 will function.

Wine6.2 packages will be added sometime next week as I’m currently away from home.

However as I’ve said in my above comment Winehq sources don’t allow running 32Bit Windows binaries on macOS Catalina and later, this requires CrossOver or a crossover-wine based package.
alifidn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alifidn »

Yeah ı looked at it and it will be very useful for me. Thanks for that by the way. But I cannot install homebrew to my m1 mac, ı dont know why. And when you mentıoned about the win64, will be the games supported? I think most of the games are 64?
alifidn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alifidn »

Update: I successfully installed homebrew and followed your directions from the link, and ı have the wine stable on my apps. But while ı download, it mentioned about 6.0 in terminal. not 6.1. I will try to download steam and the crew 2 game to my pc.
alifidn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alifidn »

Update 2: when ı try to open wine app, it comes with terminal app, and it doesnt open. What ı have to do?
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

You would install the wine-devel package
brew install --cask --no-quarantine gcenx-wine-devel

You don’t launch the “Wine Devel” app directly there’s no point, just open Terminal and directly call “wine64” with what ever command you want to use. That’s the entire reason for installing via homebrew so it’s available in PATH.

You’ll be unable to use Steam as that’s a 32Bit application on Windows, as I said upstream wine is basically useless unless you have an Intel system running macOS Mojave.

For macOS Catalina any greater including Apple Silicon systems you’d be better served using CrossOver.
alifidn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alifidn »

Do you have an estimate time when steam will be downloadable with wine for mac m1 or is it far fetched?
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

alifidn wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:25 pm Do you have an estimate time when steam will be downloadable with wine for mac m1 or is it far fetched?
You could ask on the wine-devel mailing list for a timeline

As I’ve said above currently only CrossOver-20.0.1 and greater can function on M1 systems via Rosetta2.