Using iso images instead of CDs for game key disks

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
RaggedRat
Level 1
Level 1

Using iso images instead of CDs for game key disks

Post by RaggedRat »

On windows with games that want a key disc in the drive (e.g. C&C RA2 or Tiger Woods Golf) I used to use CD emulation software (e.g. Alcohol52%) to run them off iso images. Is there a way to do this via wine?
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Using iso images instead of CDs for game key disks

Post by spoon0042 »

You can loop mount an .iso and wine kind of automagically assigns it a drive letter. Like (sudo) mount -o loop /path/to/iso /media/something

That should work for simple cd checks; more involved protections like safedisc may fail however.
RaggedRat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RaggedRat »

I've got a utility (on Windows) to check copy protections. Need to buy a USB DVDrw drive first :-o
dacha
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dacha »

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but the Linux equivalent of Alcohol 52% and co is the cdemu project (https://cdemu.sourceforge.io/), which emulates a SCSI bus with attached optical drives in the kernel, and can load many raw disc image formats (cue/bin, mds/mdx, etc.), including music CDs and multisession discs, and integrates with the user-space udisks and other desktop infrastructure, sending disc insertion events etc. This is far more than loop-mounting .iso files provides, as ISO images only contain the data portion of the disc, and only expose the files contained. I am not sure about support for copy protection measures though.