Minecraft education version wont install. An error due to not being able to create a scheduled task always occurs

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
bethanyrlinux

Minecraft education version wont install. An error due to not being able to create a scheduled task always occurs

Post by bethanyrlinux »

I successfully installed the latest WineHQ, and when trying to install minecraft education version (I specifically need this version), I get the error "An error was encountered while creating a scheduled task: Minecraft Education Weekly Updater.job".

This has occurred using both the Winetricks and PlayonLinux front ends.

From what I know scheduled tasks aren't supported by Wine.

But is there any way around this?
bethanyrlinux

Re: Minecraft education version wont install. An error due to not being able to create a scheduled task always occurs

Post by bethanyrlinux »

I ran the installer from the command. The installation wizard went through its windows until the error occurred.

Here is the log in the terminal:

user@user:~/.wine/drive_c/Installers$ wine start MCE.exe
user@user:~/.wine/drive_c/Installers$ 002c:err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
0030:fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
0030:fixme:msi:MsiDatabaseApplyTransformW ignoring error conditions
0030:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
003b:fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
003b:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
003b:fixme:msi:check_transform_applicable unsupported validation flags 0x003b
008d:fixme:powershell:wmain stub: L"" L"-NoProfile" L"-Noninteractive" L"-ExecutionPolicy" L"Bypass" L"-File" L"C:\\users\\user\\Temp\\pss8a25.ps1"
009a:fixme:taskschd:Principal_put_RunLevel 009B8EA0,1: stub
00a1:fixme:taskschd:Principal_put_RunLevel 009CC4A8,1: stub
00ab:fixme:process:CreateProcessInternalW Creating a process with a token is not yet implemented
00ab:fixme:process:CreateProcessInternalW Creating a process with a token is not yet implemented
00bc:fixme:service:SERV_QueryServiceObjectSecurity 0xdcd3b8 4 0x32f798 0 0x32f794 - semi-stub
00bc:fixme:service:SERV_QueryServiceObjectSecurity 0xdcd3b8 4 0xdcdc00 28 0x32f794 - semi-stub
00bc:fixme:service:SetServiceObjectSecurity 0xdcd3b8 4 0xdcdf08
00bc:fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0x32fe94 (nil)): stub
00bf:fixme:hnetcfg:fw_manager_get_CurrentProfileType 009B9F18, 00BEF70C
00bf:fixme:hnetcfg:fw_policy_GetProfileByType 009B9F30, 3, 009D0CC0
00c5:err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
003b:err:msi:execute_script Execution of script 0 halted; action L"Minecraft.AdalServer.exe" returned 1627
003b:err:msi:ITERATE_Actions Execution halted, action L"InstallExecute" returned 1627
003b:fixme:msi:internal_ui_handler internal UI not implemented for message 0x0b000000 (UI level = 5)
003b:fixme:msi:internal_ui_handler internal UI not implemented for message 0x0b000000 (UI level = 5)
003b:err:msi:ITERATE_Actions Execution halted, action L"ExecuteAction" returned 1627

jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Minecraft education version wont install. An error due to not being able to create a scheduled task always occurs

Post by jkfloris »

Not that I got Minecraft fully working yet, (In the demo lesson the "Code Builder" glitch, so I can't open the first gate)
but you can bypass the installer with:

Code: Select all

# Extract MinecraftEducationEdition_x86_1.14.31.0.exe
wine MinecraftEducationEdition_x86_1.14.31.0.exe /extract

# Use msiextract to unpack MinecraftEducationEdition_x86_1.14.31.0.msi
msiextract MinecraftEducationEdition_x86_1.14.31.0.msi

# Move and rename the "APPDIR:." location of your choice
mv APPDIR\:./ ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Microsoft\ Studios/Minecraft\ Education\ Edition

# Use winetricks to install vcrun2017 and dxvk
winetricks -q vcrun2017 dxvk

# Start the game
wine Minecraft.Windows.exe
I don't have the right Microsoft account, so I can't fully test the game.