Wine and OpenVMS

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
ajbrehm

Wine and OpenVMS

Post by ajbrehm »

Hello,

I found this ancient 2008 thread titled "does WINE run on MAC OS and OpenVMS"

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=915

and I thought perhaps it might be of general interest to mention that there has been an update on that subject.

OpenVMS has been ported to x86 (x64 actually) and while the current version 9.0 is not available publicly, versions 9.1 and 9.2 are planned for within the next year and they will be.

It is currently not known how much of the POSIX compatibility will be part of the port and when, but judging from the latest version on Alpha and Itanium, 8.4, POSIX is there and so is X11 and a CDE GUI.

So the two greatest obstacles for a useful Wine port are gone. It's now the right architecture and soon a better availability of the platform.

I don't think there will be much interest in Wine on VMS, especially since VMS is a pure server OS and hasn't been a desktop OS in almost 30 years, but if this question was of interest to someone in 2008, I think it should be of more interest now.

(Note that in the past OpenVMS actually did have some compatibility with Windows, but those features might not even be in the x64 port.)

Anyway, if anyone is interested in Wine for OpenVMS, I would participate. I can do some coding (inexperienced), testing, and donating money. Perhaps we can at least get Win32 CLI programs working, at least WineLib natively compiled versions?