Wine 5.9 regression in the game Max Payne 1

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
rado84
Level 2
Level 2

Wine 5.9 regression in the game Max Payne 1

Post by rado84 »

I have the game Max Payne made by a friend of mine to run with Wine 3.5 and it does run fine. I decided to try play the game with Wine 5.9 but that turned out to be impossible with 5.9 because when the game starts the mouse is inverted in all directions and there's no way to have it back to normal. Using the game's mouse settings to invert the mouse cursor don't help and the cursor remains inverted - moving the mouse to the right sends the cursor to the left and moving it up sends it down, on top of that the cursor is jumping when moving it which is annoying. I copied back Wine 3.5 and the inverted cursor problem was gone.

P.S. This may be unrelated to the described problem but wine (regardless of the version) keeps crying about not being able to find 'libncurses.so.5' when I run the start script for Max Payne.
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Wine 5.9 regression in the game Max Payne 1

Post by spoon0042 »

Seems to be a known bug introduced just recently: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=49228

(An earlier 5.x version may work fine but it may be easier to just wait if what you're doing is working.)
rado84
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Wine 5.9 regression in the game Max Payne 1

Post by rado84 »

For the moment 3.5 is working fine, so I'll just wait for the bug to be fixed.