Annoying cdrom iso issue

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
bzt

Annoying cdrom iso issue

Post by bzt »

Hi!

First I'd like to say thanks for your great work with wine! This is an amazing software!

But unfortunately I have a very annoying problem. I need to run a program that checks for a CDROM. So what I did (and it worked)
1. created .wine/drive_d
2. added D: pointing to "../drive_d" using winecfg
3. loop mounted the ISO on drive_d

This works perfectly on one computer, and when I mount the ISO then running winecfg sees the CDROM's label. But I want to repeat this on another machine. Same OS, same kernel, same wine version etc. I've repeated the steps above, but I always get

Code: Select all

wine: Read access denied for device "\\??\\D:\\", FS volume label and serial are not available.
And indeed, when I run winecfg the CDROM's label left empty and the serial is zero. Otherwise my user has read access to the mounted ISO under drive_d as well as in dosdrives/d: directory, I can list and cat files. If I enter the label and serial manually in winecfg and press on Apply, then it looks like it's been saved, but it's not. Next time I run winecfg it is empty again. (I have no issues with the label and serial on the old machine, there I can see both when I run winecfg).

What am I missing? What additional step did I do on the first machine so that wine picked up the ISO's label and serial automatically after mounting the image? I have configured that old machine about 3 years ago (or could be 4), with a lot older wine if that matters. I'm trying to set up Wine Staging 5.7 on the new machine. Just for the records I'm using the same version 5.7 on the old machine and it is working.

Thanks,
bzt