Rebuild prefix on wine update?

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
bno1

Rebuild prefix on wine update?

Post by bno1 »

Hello. I can't find an answer to this question online. If I update my wine version or want to try out a completely different build such as wine-tkg, do I have to rebuild the prefix or run any command on the current prefix to update it? A brand new prefix occupies about 725MB, many of them being dll files. What happens to those files if I try a different wine version on an already existing prefix?
dimesio

Re: Rebuild prefix on wine update?

Post by dimesio »

If you change versions, Wine will automatically update the wineprefix the first time you run anything from it.
bno1

Post by bno1 »

Ok, but what if a system file has been modified? Consider this:

1. I create a brand new wine prefix. Let's say wine creates the dll "C:\Windows\system32\foo.dll".
2. I run a winetricks verb that replaces "foo.dll" with a proprietary version.
3. I update my wine version and run a command on the prefix.

Does wine replace "foo.dll" with the one from the new wine version or does it somehow know that the current "foo.dll" doesn't belong to the previous wine version but was modified by the user so it should be left untouched?
I basically want to know if I should re-run winetricks and other setup steps if I change my wine version.
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

bno1 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:07 am Ok, but what if a system file has been modified? Consider this:

1. I create a brand new wine prefix. Let's say wine creates the dll "C:\Windows\system32\foo.dll".
2. I run a winetricks verb that replaces "foo.dll" with a proprietary version.
3. I update my wine version and run a command on the prefix.

Does wine replace "foo.dll" with the one from the new wine version or does it somehow know that the current "foo.dll" doesn't belong to the previous wine version but was modified by the user so it should be left untouched?
I basically want to know if I should re-run winetricks and other setup steps if I change my wine version.
If you replace the .dll's with your own version (just like eg. DXVK does), or whatever winetricks that install M$ dll's into c:\windows\system32 folder, this will NOT be replaced when updating wine and doing a "winboot -u" command. Same with possible registry settings, as these will stay after changing/updating wine when they are set.
However, if you update from wine-stable to wine-staging the .dll files that wine places will be replaced (or as you ask with wine-tkg). It is only for the manually changed/updated dll's that this does not happen afaik.

It might be a simple way/script to figure out what files are "wine originals" vs. "custom", but i am not sure how.
bno1

Post by bno1 »

Cybermax wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:42 am If you replace the .dll's with your own version (just like eg. DXVK does), or whatever winetricks that install M$ dll's into c:\windows\system32 folder, this will NOT be replaced when updating wine and doing a "winboot -u" command. Same with possible registry settings, as these will stay after changing/updating wine when they are set.
However, if you update from wine-stable to wine-staging the .dll files that wine places will be replaced (or as you ask with wine-tkg). It is only for the manually changed/updated dll's that this does not happen afaik.

It might be a simple way/script to figure out what files are "wine originals" vs. "custom", but i am not sure how.
Good to know, thank you for the answer!