FlexiSIGN-PRO unimplemented function mswsock.dll

Questions about Wine on Linux
dinki

FlexiSIGN-PRO unimplemented function mswsock.dll

Post by dinki »

Hey guys. I decided that my Win 7 upgrade path would deviate from the normal path to Win 10 and I've installed Linux Mint on my desktop computer. All is well with the migration with the exception of one program I use for my little decal cutting business, FlexiSign Pro. I was excited to see that someone had success running this program using Wine even if it was LONG ago:

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=11750

I installed the Flexisign with Wine 4.0 and it worked fine right after install, but now when I try to send a design to my vinyl cutter I get an error saying 'An unknown failure has occurred. It is recommended that you restart the application'. I checked the log and I see this:

Code: Select all

wine: Call from 0x7b43e03c to unimplemented function mswsock.dll.GetAddressByNameA, aborting
I'm not sure why the same call works right after install but any subsequent runs of the program always gives this error. I can blow away my .wine directory and reinstall and the program works again until it is closed. Can anyone tell me what might be going wrong and how I might be able to get the program to run? This is the last piece I need to be fully free of Windows.

Thanks!
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: FlexiSIGN-PRO unimplemented function mswsock.dll

Post by jkfloris »

Which version of FlexiSign Pro do you use?
dinki

Post by dinki »

jkfloris wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:09 pm Which version of FlexiSign Pro do you use?
I'm running 8.1v1 Same that is mentioned on the page I mentioned above. This is all very strange. I can explain a bit more if it helps and you are unfamiliar with FlexiSign. In Flexisign, you have the main program where you create the designs and then you have the production manager which is a separate program. When the design is finish, you click the cut button which sends the design to the production manager. When this happens the first time, a dialog window pops up and asks how to connect to the production manager. The option I use is either 'on the network' or 'by name (ip address)'. When I do this the first time, the design is sent to the production manager and all is well.

After this initial run, I close down Flexisign main program and then reopen it and try to send to the production manager as before and I get the error mentioned in my original post.

I've tried copying my Flexisign directory immediately after installing to a temp directory and then ran through the process once and then it breaks. I then compared those two directories with FreeFileSync and found a config file that was reported as changed. I copied the config file from the temporary directory in hopes it would 'fix' the problem but it did not.

Thanks for helping troubleshoot.
dinki

Post by dinki »

UPDATE: I did some searching for this problem and apparently others have had similar issues. I found this website:

https://signs101.com/threads/flexisign- ... es.137567/

which said to:

'Open Flexi, go to Edit>Preferences, Click on TOOLS>CUT/PLOT, Uncheck "Use TCPIP" option'

Once I did this I was able to load the production manager just fine. The thing about this is I never had this issue with native windows so I assumed it was a Wine problem, but it is not. Things are working great now and I thank you guys for the help!
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

It should work better with more recent Wine versions. Wine actually implements a stub for GetAddressByNameA.