Wine only running one program

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
skiivin

Wine only running one program

Post by skiivin »

I'm trying to install Vietcong (the 2003 Windows game) onto my mac. Weirdly, I can run the Vietcong installer just fine, and halfway through installation it tells me to insert disk 2. Fine. So I open the disk 2 folder, attempt to open 'vietcong.exe' in that folder through Wine, and... nothing happens. The icon for Wine appears on my task bar, but no window pops up and when I try to interact with the icon, it closes. I've also tried various command lines to open the program, to no avail. I need help!

Some additional notes:
-It's not just 'vietcong.exe' that won't open. Another Windows game I've tried running, an indie title called Worlds (which you should check out, by the way) won't open either, and with the same symptoms.
-I'm using the myabandonware.com version of Vietcong. Not sure if this is relevant, but in the event that it is, I'm specifying.

Thanks to whoever finds the time to help me out!
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Wine only running one program

Post by spoon0042 »

skiivin wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:40 pm I'm trying to install Vietcong (the 2003 Windows game) onto my mac. Weirdly, I can run the Vietcong installer just fine, and halfway through installation it tells me to insert disk 2. Fine. So I open the disk 2 folder, attempt to open 'vietcong.exe' in that folder through Wine, and... nothing happens. The icon for Wine appears on my task bar, but no window pops up and when I try to interact with the icon, it closes. I've also tried various command lines to open the program, to no avail. I need help!
The installer is most likely expecting you to eject cd1 and insert cd2 at this point, not run something else. If you're using physical CDs you may need a look at https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#Removable_Media for wine eject. If not you may need to mess with winecfg to have the folder show up as a CD drive at least temporarily (and may still need wine eject).

But that's getting complicated and the mod's probably going to lock this anyway. :)

I should mention though wine's AppDB which can have notes on getting things working, there is this page for a game titled Vietcong. And your other program may be failing for entirely different reasons, there's no way to know without trying some things. Have a poke around the rest of the FAQ, it'll be fun. Well, probably not.
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Wine only running one program

Post by spoon0042 »

I had another thought, if the two cds don't have any files in common you may be able to just copy everything to one directory, then click OK when it asks for cd 2.