Detect Wine version

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Detect Wine version

Post by jkfloris »

I use multiple wineprefixes and use the three different Wine versions (stable, devel and staging).
Is it possible to detect which Wine version was used to make the wineprefix?
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Detect Wine version

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Not that I am aware of. But what do you want to achieve?
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

Often users here on the forum have a certain Wine version installed. To help them I install the program in the same Wine version. Unfortunately I sometimes forget which version is used and I get the message: wine: configuration in 'wineprefix' has been updated.
Wine knows which version is used, but I can't find anything about the version in the .reg files.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

jkfloris wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:39 pm Unfortunately I sometimes forget which version is used and I get the message: wine: configuration in 'wineprefix' has been updated.
Wine knows which version is used, but I can't find anything about the version in the .reg files.
AFAIK wine doesn't know the version, it only knows it's different. In each WINEPREFIX there is a file called ".update-timestamp" which contains the "last modified" date from "/usr/share/wine/wine.inf".
That means, each time the wine.inf is updated, the WINEPREFIX is updated as well. But the actual version doesn't seem to be saved anywhere.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

Thanks! That will do the trick.