Wine does not allow me to use ibus input method for WeChat

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
internetuser

Wine does not allow me to use ibus input method for WeChat

Post by internetuser »

Hi all,
here is my question of the only problem that I face using WeChat under wine-4.0-rc5 (Staging) for Linux.
I can paste text in Chinese characters , but I cannot use the ibus input method to write messages in another language, only English. Strange note: If I paste Chinese characters in the text box, they display fine. However, if I type an English message, and paste a Chinese characters in the box, it displays each character as a "tofu" square or in a slightly different font.

I also think I have a good method of using WeChat that works pretty well with 2 small problems. The text entry as mentioned and the border shadows through all other windows unless it is minimized. I would like this post to be a troubleshooting and a place for me to show how to setup this program successfully with these 2 small caveats.

TLDR: I am looking for a way to write in a different language in a Wine environment under Linux. Thank you.

Steps:
1. Download wechat installer exe from their website.
2. Setup clean wine prefix
2a. export WINEPREFIX="/home/<username>/.wineprefixes/wechat"
2b. mkdir -p /home//.wineprefixes/others
2c. export WINEARCH="win32"
2d. winetricks msls31 ole32 riched20 riched32
2e. install relevant fonts (corefonts cjkfonts mscorefonts noto-fonts-cjk) [im not sure which are necessary yet]
3. install wechat exe under the created wine prefix
4. Change locale to LC_ALL="zh_CN.UTF8"
5. Can use this command in the same terminal using the exported wineprefix we defined earlier

Code: Select all

LC_ALL="zh_CN.UTF8" wine WeChat.exe
or you can add this to the .desktop file

Code: Select all

Exec=env LC_ALL=zh_CN.UTF-8 WINEPREFIX="/home/<YOUR USERNAME>/.wineprefixes/wechat" /usr/bin/wine C:\\\\windows\\\\command\\\\start.exe /Unix /home/<YOUR USERNAME>/.wineprefixes/wechat/dosdevices/c:/users/Public/Desktop/WeChat.lnk
The only important part is setting the locale to Chinese using the LC_ALL setting in "Exec=".
Attachments
Copy pasting Chinese without any English letters.
Copy pasting Chinese without any English letters.
eithout_eng.png (6.04 KiB) Viewed 3088 times
With English letter before copy pasting Chinese
With English letter before copy pasting Chinese
with_eng_prefix.png (4.43 KiB) Viewed 3088 times
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Wine does not allow me to use ibus input method for WeCh

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Don't you need an account to use that program? I don't have one.

Does ibus generally work under wine, e.g. in notepad?