FTDI serial: WINE 4.0, Ubuntu 18.04, Saris PowerAgent

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
duncanblackthorne

FTDI serial: WINE 4.0, Ubuntu 18.04, Saris PowerAgent

Post by duncanblackthorne »

Hello,

'PowerAgent' is software for downloading PowerTaps' Joule/Joule GPS/Joule GPS+ handlebar computer's ride data, displaying it, and uploading it to various websites. It runs only under Windows.
(Please don't tell me "just use Golden Cheetah"; I'd prefer to have this software working)
I've gotten this to run after finally getting an older version of Java to install under WINE as well.

The problem is PowerAgent is either not recognizing or connecting to the serial port in the Joule GPS+ (which is an FTDI chip -- which is recognized and working properly in Linux native mode).

I'm added to the 'dialout' group so it's not that.

The symbolic link to /dev/ttyUSB1 exists; I even forced it to COM1 with a Registry entry. (/dev/ttyUSB0 is another USB serial device connected to a GPS receiver; that's working. It's a PL2303 not FTDI)

I've tried uninstalling WINE, ensuring the file structure for it is gone, reinstalling fresh, then reinstalling PowerAgent both without and with the FTDI Windows driver it wants to install; no difference, PowerAgent just says "can't find device" (which granted is less than helpful).

Any ideas?
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: FTDI serial: WINE 4.0, Ubuntu 18.04, Saris PowerAgent

Post by jkfloris »

It runs only under Windows.
If this is the program, then there is a Linux executable shell script:

Code: Select all

<wine-prefix>/drive_c/Program Files/PowerAgent/bin/poweragent