Wine On Windows

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Jackloongo

Wine On Windows

Post by Jackloongo »

Can wine be compiled for windows? I've searched around for any downloads or anything and all I found was an outdated tutorial on how to compile and some people claiming they've used it but nothing else.

Now, I have no idea how to compile, let alone a project like this. I want to know if wine could be used on say, windows xp or vista to run modern windows 7 to 10 apps, And if so, could someone compile them or send a download link for me?
dimesio

Re: Wine On Windows

Post by dimesio »

Jackloongo wrote:I want to know if wine could be used on say, windows xp or vista to run modern windows 7 to 10 apps,
No.
https://wiki.winehq.org/Cygwin_and_More#Disclaimers
Jackloongo

Post by Jackloongo »

Ding dang, hopefully one core api mod continues to improve then.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Jackloongo wrote:Ding dang, hopefully one core api mod continues to improve then.
What do you mean?

Sitenote: You really don't want to run XP anymore, it's end-of-life. And vista - I wouldn't even want that.
Sidenote2: You might get d3d11 to work on windows XP though, but not much more.
Jackloongo

Post by Jackloongo »

I don't use it on my main computer but I love the interface and look of xp more than the newer os's. And one core api is an attempt to make newer programs work on xp which so far works on some programs and not so much others. I was just wondering if wine was able to do the same thing.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Uh, if that's your worry - you know you can make Win7 / Win10 look like XP?
rawfox
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rawfox »

Jackloongo wrote:I don't use it on my main computer but I love the interface and look of xp more than the newer os's. And one core api is an attempt to make newer programs work on xp which so far works on some programs and not so much others. I was just wondering if wine was able to do the same thing.
It sounds like you would be fully satisfied with Linux.
It can do everything better then XP and it can exacly look and behave like XP.

WindowsXP is beyond afterlife already, there should be no reason to use it nowadays ^^
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

rawfox wrote:It sounds like you would be fully satisfied with Linux.
It can do everything better then XP and it can exacly look and behave like XP.
That's just not true. First, you don't know about OPs requirements, and second, Linux does not behave 100% like windows. Just take the system settings. Windows troubleshooters don't help you on Linux.