Wine On Windows

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Locked
Jackloongo
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:45 pm

Wine On Windows

Post by Jackloongo » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:54 pm

Can wine be compiled for windows? I've searched around for any downloads or anything and all I found was an outdated tutorial on how to compile and some people claiming they've used it but nothing else.

Now, I have no idea how to compile, let alone a project like this. I want to know if wine could be used on say, windows xp or vista to run modern windows 7 to 10 apps, And if so, could someone compile them or send a download link for me?

User avatar
dimesio
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 12671
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:30 pm

Re: Wine On Windows

Post by dimesio » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:46 pm

Jackloongo wrote:I want to know if wine could be used on say, windows xp or vista to run modern windows 7 to 10 apps,
No.
https://wiki.winehq.org/Cygwin_and_More#Disclaimers

Jackloongo
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:45 pm

Re: Wine On Windows

Post by Jackloongo » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:06 am

Ding dang, hopefully one core api mod continues to improve then.

User avatar
DarkShadow44
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 910
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:39 pm

Re: Wine On Windows

Post by DarkShadow44 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:11 pm

Jackloongo wrote:Ding dang, hopefully one core api mod continues to improve then.
What do you mean?

Sitenote: You really don't want to run XP anymore, it's end-of-life. And vista - I wouldn't even want that.
Sidenote2: You might get d3d11 to work on windows XP though, but not much more.

Jackloongo
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:45 pm

Re: Wine On Windows

Post by Jackloongo » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:56 pm

I don't use it on my main computer but I love the interface and look of xp more than the newer os's. And one core api is an attempt to make newer programs work on xp which so far works on some programs and not so much others. I was just wondering if wine was able to do the same thing.

User avatar
DarkShadow44
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 910
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:39 pm

Re: Wine On Windows

Post by DarkShadow44 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:38 pm

Uh, if that's your worry - you know you can make Win7 / Win10 look like XP?

User avatar
rawfox
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:59 am

Re: Wine On Windows

Post by rawfox » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:32 am

Jackloongo wrote:I don't use it on my main computer but I love the interface and look of xp more than the newer os's. And one core api is an attempt to make newer programs work on xp which so far works on some programs and not so much others. I was just wondering if wine was able to do the same thing.
It sounds like you would be fully satisfied with Linux.
It can do everything better then XP and it can exacly look and behave like XP.

WindowsXP is beyond afterlife already, there should be no reason to use it nowadays ^^

User avatar
DarkShadow44
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 910
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:39 pm

Re: Wine On Windows

Post by DarkShadow44 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:34 pm

rawfox wrote:It sounds like you would be fully satisfied with Linux.
It can do everything better then XP and it can exacly look and behave like XP.
That's just not true. First, you don't know about OPs requirements, and second, Linux does not behave 100% like windows. Just take the system settings. Windows troubleshooters don't help you on Linux.

Locked