F1 2012 Direct X Error

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
bbuske

F1 2012 Direct X Error

Post by bbuske »

Hello,

I try to run F1 2012 with Wine 3.16 and 3.5 as well as through Play on Linux. Upon starting the game I get an error saying "Error initializing graphics". This program needs DirectX 10 or 11. I have used wintricks to add the dlls for DX10 and 11. However the error remains. Also installed the DX10 version coming with the game, but the error still remains.

Did I forget anything? Anything I can do? Oh, I tried on both x86 and x64 versions but that does not change anything.

Cheers
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: F1 2012 Direct X Error

Post by jkfloris »

Anything I can do?
Difficult to say without any terminal logs, but you could try to start with

Code: Select all

winetricks d3dcompiler_43
If there is no progression and your system can run Vulkan, download dxvk and use winetricks to install

winetricks --force setup_dxvk.verb
I get the game up and running with these two settings using Wine 3.16 from WineHQ in a clean 32bit prefix.
bbuske

Re: F1 2012 Direct X Error

Post by bbuske »

Hello,

thanks for your reply. I have tried that without any success.

I have found a different solution though. Doing some research with the terminal output (thanks for pointing me to that) I found out that the issue also has shown up with Steam and some other programs. Basically the error message was:

libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

A post on the Mint forums pointed to the solution. The issue is related to the Nvidia drivers and them only being installed as 64bit packages. Running the following command fixed the problem:

sudo apt-get install libnvidia-gl-390:i386
The original forum post with the solution can be found here: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic. ... 89108]Here