Populous: The Beginning under wine-0.9.49

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Xolo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Xolo »

L.S.

I seem to remember this being a bit easier, apparently i'm wrong:

Code: Select all

[xolo@sasquatch .wine]$ wine d:\\Setup.exe
err:alsa:ALSA_CheckSetVolume Could not find 'PCM Playback Volume' element
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on Brooktree Bt878, disabling mixer
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on USB Device 0x46d:0x8b2, disabling mixer
err:alsa:ALSA_CheckSetVolume Could not find 'PCM Playback Volume' element
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on Brooktree Bt878, disabling mixer
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on USB Device 0x46d:0x8b2, disabling mixer
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0xffffffff at address 0x11ef:0x00003540 (thread 0011), starting debugger...
fixme:dbghelp:addr_to_linear Failed to linearize address 400d:00000800 (mode 0)
fixme:dbghelp:addr_to_linear Failed to linearize address 400d:000076d4 (mode 0)
fixme:dbghelp:addr_to_linear Failed to linearize address 400d:000076ac (mode 0)
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x7ef2c500 "syslevel.c: Win16Mutex" wait timed out in thread 000e, blocked by 0011, retrying (60 sec)
[xolo@sasquatch .wine]$
Is the output from running Setup.exe off of the Populous: The Beginning CD-Rom.
I recall this game being version 1.00 on this disc.

System as follows:
  • * Mandriva 2008 Free (DVD version), last updates received this morning.
    * Linux version 2.6.22.18-desktop-1mdv ([email protected]) (gcc version 4.2.2 20071128 (prerelease) (4.2.2-3.1mdv2008.0)) #1 SMP Mon Feb 11 13:53:50 EST 2008
    * 2.8Ghz/512k L2 Intel Pentium 4 Processor
    * 1GB DDR Ram
    * nVidia Geforce 4 Ti4200/128MB AGP 3D Graphics Accelerator Card
    * dkms-nvidia96xx - NVIDIA kernel module for most GF2/3/4 class cards - 1.0-9639.4mdv2008.0 installed and running, no update available.
    * compiz-fusion - Compiz Fusion OpenGL composing manager​ - 0.0.1-0.3mdv2008.0 installed and running, no update available.
    * libwine1 - Libraries for wine - 0.9.49-1mdv2008.0 installed and running, no update available.
    * libwine1-devel - Static libraries and headers for wine​ - 0.9.49-1mdv2008.0 installed and running, no update available.
    * wine - WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs - 0.9.49-1mdv2008.0 installed and running, no update available.
I'm curious how I can resolve this. Apparently according to the AppDB, Populous: The Beginning version 1.01 can actually install and run, but with some problems, however no specific instructions other than "it works you will only need directx" were left behind.
DirectX already appears to be present within my currently installed version of Wine (as running an DirectX installer will yield a window offering the option to reinstall it rather than install it), so i'm wondering what "it works you will only need directx" here means.
I can't even get to the install screen, it will pause for the stated 60 seconds, then return to the autorun splash screen.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
vitamin

Re: Populous: The Beginning under wine-0.9.49

Post by vitamin »

Xolo wrote:L.S.
How about trying with more recent Wine version? Wine-0.9.58 was just released this Friday.
Xolo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Xolo »

vitamin wrote:
Xolo wrote:L.S.
How about trying with more recent Wine version? Wine-0.9.58 was just released this Friday.
It's in none of my repositories (all 14 of them), nor was it among the updates from friday afternoon GMT+1 (~7pm).
Hopefully you understand when I say i'm trying to avoid compiling from source as it's obviously dependancy heavy, and could create more problems than it may solve. I'm not a developer, nor a dependancy guru when it comes to Linux based systems (yet?).
Detructor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Detructor »

which distribution to you use?
you can get packages from here: http://www.winehq.org/site/download
Xolo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Xolo »

Detructor wrote:which distribution to you use?
Mandriva 2008 Free, stated in first post under system setup.
Using the latest version does not seem like a good thing to do; there appear to be problems:
http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=315
And #22 of http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=299

Also it creates other problems when attempting to install the package:
Xolo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Xolo »

Still on the version as in my first post, but with more progress:

Avoiding the autorun and splash screens; Populous: The Beginning can be installed via the following steps:
  • * Insert CD
    * Open terminal of choice and change to the following folder on the CD: setup/
    * Change to the folder containing your choice in language, e.g. english/
    * Run 'wine SETUP.EXE' inside the language folder you chose.
    * Populous: The Beginning setup will run without the splash screens.
The missing DLL file error I got in my first post is also resolved using these steps, they are placed by the installer.

What happens:
  • * To avoid 'Cannot find CD' error, a patcher and fixer program had to be used.
    * Can't run D3DPopTB.exe, but can run popTB.exe.
    * Virtual desktop size is not honored: Game will force a 640x480 viewport by default in the main menu, setting 800x600 within the game's options seems to have no effect versus 640x480 default.
    * Mouse cursor is 'stuck' in screen center, however it is movable with great effort (lots of moving will get you there eventually with hops and rubberbanding) Scaling problem? I've seen this once before while using VNC on my local desktop, to my local desktop (causing an endless depth view) same kind of mouse jumps.
    * Keyboard commands crippled?, sometimes the game doesn't seem to receive these for some commands such as viewing World or Surface (Enter key should toggle this in-game).
    * The "HW_SW_Select.exe" program starts, exits silently without showing a GUI, spits out a 'wine: unhandled exception' along with a large amount of "ELF" prefixed messages.
What works and how:
  • * popTB.exe will run (Software rendering)
    * Cutscene videos will play and are normal, one small glitch: Screen stays black after video. Hitting the Enter key however still activates the default action, such as starting the next level. Screen returns to normal after this transition.
    * Sounds work and are normal
    * Graphics work and are normal
    * Framerate excellent
    * Tutorial will run and can be completed
    * Can start new games and play these
If the mouse problem can be resolved, the setup will be complete. To me it looks like a scaling problem between what the game wants and what Wine and/or desktop manager is/are providing, however I can't be sure about this. Insight anyone?
My physical desktop layout is 1280x1024, and the virtual desktop is 1024x768. Setting the virtual desktop to any other size has no effect on the mouse behaviour in-game.
Chad
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Chad »

Xolo wrote:
Using the latest version does not seem like a good thing to do; there appear to be problems:

The post you linked to is only regarding a regression for a single application. Lots of other applications probably work better with the newer version. In my case, an application that has never worked for me finally let me launch it in 0.9.58.

As for the the dependency issues, it looks like it's basically just removing the older wine packages before installing the new one.
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

Xolo wrote:

That is correct. New packages don't split winelib into a separate package. It's now part of the main package.
Firesong

Post by Firesong »

I'm also having a problem running Populous... I haven't been using Ubuntu that long, so bear with me if I'm doing anything obviously wrong (or missing information it would be helpful to provide).

I'm running wine version 0.9.58, and when I try to wine the file setup.exe, it opens the first window normally; however, when the install option is selected, it opens the wine debugging window; however the window remains blank. When run in a terminal, the debug window still appears and remains blank, but the terminal produces the following output:

"wine Setup.exe
fixme:spoolsv:serv_main (0 (nil))
err:service:service_get_status service protocol error - failed to read pipe r = 0 count = 0!
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0xffffffff at address 0x11ef:0x00003540 (thread 0017), starting debugger...
fixme:dbghelp:addr_to_linear Failed to linearize address b70d:00000800 (mode 0)
fixme:dbghelp:addr_to_linear Failed to linearize address b70d:000076d4 (mode 0)
fixme:dbghelp:addr_to_linear Failed to linearize address b70d:000076ac (mode 0)"

In attempting to use automenu.exe in the same fashion, I get the same message; however, I get the autorun menu, which functions normally, allowing me to proceed to the menu displayed when Setup is run. This functions the same way as described earlier, but the error message in the terminal is preceded by the message,

"fixme:spoolsv:serv_main (0 (nil))
err:mmio:MMIO_ParseExtA No . in szFileName: "D:\\ad\\"
err:mmio:MMIO_ParseExtA No . in szFileName: "D:\\ad\\"
fixme:font:WineEngRemoveFontResourceEx :stub"

Any ideas?
Dan Kegel

Post by Dan Kegel »

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 10:58 PM, Firesong <[email protected]> wrote:
I'm running wine version 0.9.58, and when I try to [install populous]...
"wine Setup.exe
err:service:service_get_status service protocol error - failed to read pipe r = 0 count = 0!
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0xffffffff at address 0x11ef:0x00003540 (thread 0017), starting debugger...
For starters, does this still happen if you first delete your ~/.wine directory,
and then install the game without any tweaking of wine?

Deleting ~/.wine can help if you accidentally copied in a native DLL
at some point
that's screwing you up...

But looking at
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... n&iId=1033
I don't see much reason for optimism. Perhaps the game just
isn't supportable yet in Wine. But I don't see any bugs filed for this problem
yet... maybe that would help, especially if there's a demo.
- Dan
Xolo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Xolo »

Firesong wrote:I'm running wine version 0.9.58, and when I try to wine the file setup.exe, it opens the first window normally; however, when the install option is selected, it opens the wine debugging window; however the window remains blank. When run in a terminal, the debug window still appears and remains blank, but the terminal produces the following output:

"wine Setup.exe
fixme:dbghelp:addr_to_linear Failed to linearize address b70d:00000800 (mode 0)
fixme:dbghelp:addr_to_linear Failed to linearize address b70d:000076d4 (mode 0)
fixme:dbghelp:addr_to_linear Failed to linearize address b70d:000076ac (mode 0)"
You'll have to drill down to "D:\\setup\\yourlanguage\\SETUP.EXE" (and replace D: with your Wine CD-Rom mapping and yourlanguage with the language folder name you wish to run Setup from) and Wine that instead, the Autorun and Setup on the root of the game CD will not work.

Edit: Typo.
Marc

Post by Marc »

En/na Xolo ha escrit:
Still on the version as in my first post, but with more progress:

Avoiding the autorun and splash screens; Populous: The Beginning can be installed via the following steps:

* Insert CD
* Open terminal of choice and change to the following folder on the CD: setup/
* Change to the folder containing your choice in language, e.g. english/
* Run 'wine SETUP.EXE' inside the language folder you chose.
* Populous: The Beginning setup will run without the splash screens.

The missing DLL file error I got in my first post is also resolved using these steps, they are placed by the installer.

What happens:

* To avoid 'Cannot find CD' error, a patcher and fixer program had to be used.
* Can't run D3DPopTB.exe, but can run popTB.exe.
* Virtual desktop size is not honored: Game will force a 640x480 viewport by default in the main menu, setting 800x600 within the game's options seems to have no effect versus 640x480 default.
* Mouse cursor is 'stuck' in screen center, however it is movable with great effort (lots of moving will get you there eventually with hops and rubberbanding) Scaling problem? I've seen this once before while using VNC on my local desktop, to my local desktop (causing an endless depth view) same kind of mouse jumps.
* Keyboard commands crippled?, sometimes the game doesn't seem to receive these for some commands such as viewing World or Surface (Enter key should toggle this in-game).
* The "HW_SW_Select.exe" program starts, exits silently without showing a GUI, spits out a 'wine: unhandled exception' along with a large amount of "ELF" prefixed messages.

What works and how:

* popTB.exe will run (Software rendering)
* Cutscene videos will play and are normal, one small glitch: Screen stays black after video. Hitting the Enter key however still activates the default action, such as starting the next level. Screen returns to normal after this transition.
* Sounds work and are normal
* Graphics work and are normal
* Framerate excellent
* Tutorial will run and can be completed
* Can start new games and play these

If the mouse problem can be resolved, the setup will be complete. To me it looks like a scaling problem between what the game wants and what Wine and/or desktop manager is/are providing, however I can't be sure about this. Insight anyone?
My physical desktop layout is 1280x1024, and the virtual desktop is 1024x768. Setting the virtual desktop to any other size has no effect on the mouse behaviour in-game.

I installed this game on 0.9.57 and played it without any problem last
week. I remember similar problems to those you say ( mouse, keyboard)
with a windowed wine (800x600, 640x480, since my screen is smaller than
yours), but the first 3 levels of the game worked great for me in
full-screen mode without any of the problems you say. Both hardware and
sofware rendering were flawlessly. I just had some sound problems. Did
you meet them?

Maybe I install it again on 0.9.58 this week and see how it goes.
Marc ///
Xolo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Xolo »

Marc wrote:I installed this game on 0.9.57 and played it without any problem last
week. I remember similar problems to those you say ( mouse, keyboard)
with a windowed wine (800x600, 640x480, since my screen is smaller than
yours), but the first 3 levels of the game worked great for me in
full-screen mode without any of the problems you say. Both hardware and
sofware rendering were flawlessly. I just had some sound problems. Did
you meet them?

Maybe I install it again on 0.9.58 this week and see how it goes.
Marc ///
I have no sound problems in my current install of Populous: The Beginning.
D3DpopTB.exe will attempt to start, but soon errors out with exceptions and ELF errors.
I had no luck running the game fullscreen, the mouse will still rubberband.
I may try the latest version of Wine later this week if I have enough time and disk space to backup and reinstall in case it breaks things.