Native dll - destination place

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Potter
Level 2
Level 2

Native dll - destination place

Post by Potter »

Hello,

First posting.
Wine helped me a lot since I am leaving MS and started with Linux. Good stuff, really. I got some important self-written applications to run with it. What I know and use from WINE so far, is this: WINEPREFIX, winecfg, winetricks. I have read User's Guide and FAQ.

My question:
I am ok with the idea of native/builtin DLLs. What I do not see: to which place do I copy these files? I supply them from my real Windows installation, alright? Will I have to rename the builtins to be able to use the natives in Wine's drive_c ?

Potter
dimesio

Re: Native dll - destination place

Post by dimesio »

Copy them to the same directory in the wineprefix that they were in in your Windows install. You don't need to rename anything; the dlls in the wineprefix are fake, and you can just overwrite them. However, if Wine has a builtin version of the dll you are copying over, you will need to set an override in winecfg to get Wine to use the native one you copied.

FYI, winetricks is a better way to install native dlls than manually copying, as it will handle any settings that need to be changed.
Potter
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Native dll - destination place

Post by Potter »

Thank You, Dimesio. Now I don't have to make any try and error series anymore.

Potter