StarCitizen, .NET and wine, i could need a hand here ...

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
rawfox
Level 3
Level 3

StarCitizen, .NET and wine, i could need a hand here ...

Post by rawfox »

Hello people,

since a couple weeks already im exploring ways to bring StarCitizen to go into the persistent universe (PU).
There is 2 other gamemodes, Arena Commander and Star Marine and they are working good, but joining the PU is problematic due to following issues..

The launcher does install itself and works with installed corefonts. It is able to download the basepack.p4k but is not able to install the gameclient after that.
On Windows there is poping the admin rights window to make the file installer-support.exe getting the Manifest file and install or verify the game.
This failed under wine so far, so we have to work with a gameclient copy from a windows partition.

So the game is working very nice with vulkan drivers and with dx11 drivers as well.
Everything works, everything but joining an online session into the PU.

It stalls with the error, that Newtonsoft.json cant be loaded because there is no .NET.
Installing .NET does errors, while switching to XP, i can install dotnet40, but on dotnet45 im getting timeout errors.
Installing 40, switching back to win7 and installing the available web installer for 4.7.2 also results in timeout errors.

All this happened on wine-3.11 (staging and vanilla).

So now that the launcher demands .NET, i'd like to know, what the module Newtonsoft.json does, and if it is related for joining the PU.

StarCitizen is a big deal, when we can make it happen to take part in the PU, all multiplayer mechanics are working as well in the two working game modules AC and SM.

I'd love to ask a Windows expert some holes in his belly :)

Here is the link to the AppDB entry:
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... 2&sAllBugs
Here is some vidos showing the game working and some issus, were the SHKnownFolderPath() issue (https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=45293) is solved.
https://www.twitch.tv/rawfoxonlinux

Some help getting this going would be blastastic, a ton of people would be the happyness itself, so can anyone help here ?!

Cheers penguins \m/
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: StarCitizen, .NET and wine, i could need a hand here ...

Post by Bob Wya »

@rawfox

I don't want to moan about your recent AppDB Test for Star Citizen... But I will anyway (I'm good at that)... 8)

DXVK is not a recognised Wine Workaround.
It's essentially a third party project, developing native Windows libraries that replaces both Wine and native MS Windows functionality.

So we'd ask WineHQ AppDB Maintainers to restrict references to DXVK, to the Extra comments section of Test Submissions.
Also the overall Appllication Rating should only be based on vanilla Wine or Wine Staging.

RE Star Citizen, have you tried: Reddit: [Guide] How to install .NET 4.5+ on 64-bit prefixes (self.wine_gaming)?

Thanks
Bob
rawfox
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rawfox »

Hey Bob, your comments are welcome, even if my trashcan is as big as your will to moan.
Where did i mention dxvk as a recognised workaround ?
I wrote an OR and i tested it with vanilla and staging, release and dev versions /shrug
No idea why youre moaning, but ill keep that in mind when i write the next version test.
Ill base it on the plain available and gonna mention dxvk (whats working only in 0.54 anyways) in Extras then \m/.

Yes, ofc i tried installing .NET about 47239 times, understood by that guide the nature of the problem.
.NET, nuget, the winsxs entries its all 32bit stuff, mixed with 64bit deps and thats a weak spot with wine, mixed architectures.
There is this programm installer-support.exe what makes me nutz.
On Windows it wants special admin permissions, those are given on wine.
Ill look somewhat deeper into this next week.

Dont stop moaning!
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

rawfox wrote: I wrote an OR and i tested it with vanilla and staging, release and dev versions /shrug
Basically if you say you can use either "vanilla Wine Staging or Wine Staging+DXVK" in a Test, then
the overall Test Rating becomes amiguous.

Is the Test rating for Wine Staging, or actually for Wine Staging+DXVK???

The same goes for unofficial patchsets, e.g. Wine-PBA, esync, etc.
Mention of these should also be confined to the "Extra comments" section.

It just means everyone is being consistent, and the end user of Wine knows where they stand! 8)

Bob
rawfox
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rawfox »

i see your point and will keep that in mind \m/