WeChat fonts problem.

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Lockywolf
Level 2
Level 2

WeChat fonts problem.

Post by Lockywolf »

Hello, everyone.

I'm trying to run Windows WeChat on Linux.
I tried to do it according to the instructions on the AppDB page, and on a bare wine.

Still, the result is the same: either there are no i18n characters (i.e. Chinese, or Russian), or no text is displayed at all.

If I run it with a Chinese (zh_TW) locale, I get at least some of Chinese, and with (zh_CN) don't get even the 'tofu' marks.
Attachments
wine1.png
wine1.png (3.49 KiB) Viewed 4919 times
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: WeChat fonts problem.

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Did you already try installing fonts with winetricks? "winetricks corefonts" might help.
internetuser

Re: WeChat fonts problem.

Post by internetuser »

Lockywolf wrote:Hello, everyone.

I'm trying to run Windows WeChat on Linux.
I tried to do it according to the instructions on the AppDB page, and on a bare wine.

Still, the result is the same: either there are no i18n characters (i.e. Chinese, or Russian), or no text is displayed at all.

If I run it with a Chinese (zh_TW) locale, I get at least some of Chinese, and with (zh_CN) don't get even the 'tofu' marks.
Do you still have this issue? I believe I have the solution.

Steps:
1. Download wechat installer exe from their website.
2. Setup clean wine prefix
2a. export WINEPREFIX="/home/<username>/.wineprefixes/wechat"
2b. mkdir -p /home//.wineprefixes/others
2c. export WINEARCH="win32"
2d. winetricks msls31 ole32 riched20 riched32
2e. install relevant fonts (corefonts cjkfonts mscorefonts noto-fonts-cjk) [im not sure which are necessary yet]
3. install wechat exe under the created wine prefix
4. Change locale to LC_ALL="zh_CN.UTF8"
5. Can use this command in the same terminal using the exported wineprefix we defined earlier

Code: Select all

LC_ALL="zh_CN.UTF8" wine WeChat.exe
or you can add this to the .desktop file

Code: Select all

Exec=env LC_ALL=zh_CN.UTF-8 WINEPREFIX="/home/<YOUR USERNAME>/.wineprefixes/wechat" /usr/bin/wine C:\\\\windows\\\\command\\\\start.exe /Unix /home/<YOUR USERNAME>/.wineprefixes/wechat/dosdevices/c:/users/Public/Desktop/WeChat.lnk
The only important part is setting the locale to Chinese using the LC_ALL setting in "Exec=".