Fullscreen DirectX breaks with new versions

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
themacmeister

Post by themacmeister »

Hi all, this error is almost certainly due to a misconfiguration while using tools/winebuild, but every time I update my version of Wine, my fullscreen game (Hoyles Card Games 2001) refuses to work fullscreen anymore :(

NB. My current Wine build (LinuxMint) is about 0.9.44 or so, which is the working one. Many of my distro's built in versions of Wine have all worked fullscreen, it is only ones I build myself that go screwy.

Does anyone know if I can edit (or pass a variable) to ./configure, which will alleviate this problem?

Any ideas would be helpful. Many thanx.
vitamin

Re: Fullscreen DirectX breaks with new versions

Post by vitamin »

themacmeister wrote:Hi all, this error is almost certainly due to a misconfiguration while using tools/winebuild, but every time I update my version of Wine, my fullscreen game (Hoyles Card Games 2001) refuses to work fullscreen anymore :(

NB. My current Wine build (LinuxMint) is about 0.9.44 or so, which is the working one. Many of my distro's built in versions of Wine have all worked fullscreen, it is only ones I build myself that go screwy.

Does anyone know if I can edit (or pass a variable) to ./configure, which will alleviate this problem?

Any ideas would be helpful. Many thanx.
Output of configure would be too big here. Run it yourself as './configure --verbose' and check if you are missing anything (look at the warnings). You might be missing some parts like xrandr or xvidmode X-extensions.
themacmeister

hmmm

Post by themacmeister »

I am using LinuxMint, which is almost identical to Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10.

I know I have xrandr, but am unsure whether I have the required -dev packages installed. I rebuilt the machine from scratch, using archived .debs, and did not install all of them, so this may certainly be the case.

What is the command for redirecting stdout to a file, is it a pipe or > or what?

Many thanks for the prompt reply!
David Gerard

Post by David Gerard »

On 22/03/2008, themacmeister <[email protected]> wrote:
What is the command for redirecting stdout to a file, is it a pipe or > or what?
It's the ">", though ./configure should log somewhere, shouldn't it?

- d.
themacmeister

Hang on a second...

Post by themacmeister »

I found a .deb of 0.9.57, I will give that a try.

I have found quite a few OpenGL progs that do not behave, and I have freeglut3 and glutg3 BOTH installed (due to dependencies - gack!)
vitamin

Re: Hang on a second...

Post by vitamin »

themacmeister wrote:I found a .deb of 0.9.57, I will give that a try.

I have found quite a few OpenGL progs that do not behave, and I have freeglut3 and glutg3 BOTH installed (due to dependencies - gack!)
Wine does not user those libraries. If they are listed as dependencies - file a bug with your distro and ask maintainer to remove them.
themacmeister

success!

Post by themacmeister »

It appears that the new .57 .deb I installed works beautifully (ps. the old version was .46). Thanks for all your help and advice.

I believe the bugs I am experiencing may be due to using "questionable" sources for the .deb files.

I am currently offline, and transferring .debs from a connected computer - dependency HELL!

:)