Wine 3.8 and World of Warcraft. Framerate issue

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Hobbyhorse
Level 1
Level 1

Wine 3.8 and World of Warcraft. Framerate issue

Post by Hobbyhorse »

My Ubuntu updated some hours ago Wine and after that when I try to play World of Warcraft the framerate is at 0.2-4. I removed version 3.8 and installed 3.0, but that version would not start.
Hobbyhorse
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Wine 3.8 and World of Warcraft. Framerate issue

Post by Hobbyhorse »

In file Config.wtf at folder World of Warcraft/WTF I did change
SET gxApi "D3D11" to SET gxApi "D3D9"

DX9 is not supported in future versions.

Framerate did go up to 50-60.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Wine 3.8 and World of Warcraft. Framerate issue

Post by Bob Wya »

@ Hobbyhorse,

You probably want to checkout the unofficial Wine-PBA and DXVK projects.
  • Wine-PBA leverages the existing Wine DX11 to OpenGL 4.x translation layer - but increases efficiency dramatically (for some games).

Wine-PBA modifies Wine source with an unofficial patchset. It is being developed by a World of Warcraft player no less! 8)
    See: Making Direct3D games faster in Wine using modern OpenGL.
    This requires compiling a custom version of Wine (or perhaps using a PPA for this).
  • DXVK is a drop in d3d11 layer replacement for Wine, or native Windows, that translates DX11 calls to Vulkan calls.

DXVK is the darling poster-child of the moment in the Wine world...
    Ironically it is being developed by someone, working fulltime, who is not employed by anyone officially??!!"!
    The includes the main Wine project backer / developer employer Codeweavers...
    So the DXVK project is not supported by the Wine project.
    Imagine playing GTA IV in DX11 mode at near Windows performance and with most of the effects enabled... This is what DXVK delivers today! 8)

Bob