Interacting pragmatically with a win application through COM

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
jeffrey.newman

Interacting pragmatically with a win application through COM

Post by jeffrey.newman »

I have a windows-only scientific model that I need to control using a COM interface. Is there a way I can run this model through wine, but interact with it using the model's COM interface from code running natively on linux? I need to have my own code running on linux given the high-performance computing setup I have available.
Thanks,
Jeff
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Interacting pragmatically with a win application through

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Due to the nature of Wine (Not an Emulator), there shouldn't be that big of a performance impact. Code in wine is running natively, so to say. Did you test it out, do you know for sure the performance is not enough?
AFAIK COM is only available on windows. However, there is also Winelib - With that approach you could write code that uses the Winapi and still make Linux calls. So, you could make a wrapper for the COM objects to be used from Linux only code - Or just use the COM objects while writing Linux code.
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Interacting pragmatically with a win application through

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Another alternative might be controlling your application via VBScript. You can install the Windows Scripting Host under wine using winetricks. I'd first try it on Windows, create and run your application via a .vbs script. If it works, you could try it under wine. You'd have to install your application under wine, maybe register the COM controls, if necessary. I'm not an expert in that area and wine's COM implementation is somewhat incomplete, but it still might be worth a try. If it wouldn't work, you could file a bug report to help improve wine in the future.