Bug report for unsupported texture formats?

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
z-s-e
Level 1
Level 1

Bug report for unsupported texture formats?

Post by z-s-e »

Is it a well known limitation that not all texture formats are supported in the wine DirectX implementation yet, or should I file a bug report for that?

I have some missing (black) textures, and the following console output:

Code: Select all

fixme:d3dx:D3DXLoadSurfaceFromMemory Unsupported format conversion 0x31545844 -> 0x31545844.
fixme:d3dx:D3DXCreateTextureFromFileInMemoryEx Texture loading failed.
fixme:d3dx:D3DXLoadSurfaceFromMemory Unhandled filter 0x3.
fixme:d3dx:D3DXLoadSurfaceFromMemory Unhandled filter 0x3.
fixme:d3dx:D3DXLoadSurfaceFromMemory Unsupported format conversion 0x33545844 -> 0x33545844.
fixme:d3dx:D3DXCreateTextureFromFileInMemoryEx Texture loading failed.
The problem gets fixed by "winetricks d3dx9_43". Tested with wine 3.5
latte
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Bug report for unsupported texture formats?

Post by latte »

A workaround by winetricks is no bugfix. On the other hand a fixme is no bug per se.

So what you would report is the glitch in the affected application, the black textures, which in this case could be narrowed down nicely to unimplemented functions.
z-s-e
Level 1
Level 1

Post by z-s-e »

Right. I was just thinking that this might be an obvious well known missing feature, or already reported in some form, so it wouldn't really be worth opening a new bug report about it.
latte
Level 2
Level 2

Post by latte »

Of course you would search for similar bugs. But if you don't find it, you could file the bug. If it is then identified and closed as a duplicate DirectX bug your bug report may still give indications to the developers that there is another affected application. In the other case you add that brief information to the existing bug.

Bug triaging does not seem to be a real issue for wine development. I know that other projects have a problem with that and even discourage actively filing bugs.