Two program shortcuts on desktop after installation

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
sevn
Level 2
Level 2

Two program shortcuts on desktop after installation

Post by sevn »

So I installed a program and after the installation I was left with two shortcuts on the desktop. One of the shortcuts has the icon of the program, but not exactly similar to how it looks like I install it windows. It's like the original icon, but with a white background. And the name of the shortcut is "iCCup Launcher.Ink".

The second shortcut had a glass of redwine as icon and was named "iCCup Launcher".

It seems as though both of the shortcuts work allright and launches the program.

But I still wonder why this happens and if someone else has experienced this with other programs?
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Two program shortcuts on desktop after installation

Post by jkfloris »

*.lnk This one is the native Windows shortcut. This file is probably installed when you ran the iCCup installer. Wine is so kind to "translate" the Windows shortcut to a Linux *.desktop file. The .desktop extension is hidden by your desktop environment.
sevn
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sevn »

I didn't quite understand that.

One thing more I forgot to mention is that I was left with an additional shortcut in the main menu. Which also has a glass of redwine as icon and is called "iCCup Launcher".

But technicalities aside: or one of them "more legit" than the other? Or do they both work 100%? Will I mess up the entire program if I launch it from the "wrong" shortcut?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

sevn wrote:...
But technicalities aside: or one of them "more legit" than the other? Or do they both work 100%? Will I mess up the entire program if I launch it from the "wrong" shortcut?
  1. One is a .lnk file.
    A native Windows symbolic link to the application executable...
    People running Windows often have a mass of these lnk symbolic link (icons) on their desktops!
    If you uncheck create a desktop shortcut - when installing Windows software - then these files will not be created!
  2. Wine (winemenubuilder) generates the .desktop file.
    This a native Linux XDG freedesktop launcher / menu specification file.
You Linux Desktop Environment doesn't understand .lnk files - which is a proprietary Windows binary format shortcut or symbolic link.
This is why Wine creates the complementary wrapper .desktop file - to allow execution of applications installed under Wine, using your native Linux Desktop Environment (standardised XDG handling protocols).

Bob
sevn
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sevn »

> You Linux Desktop Environment doesn't understand .lnk files

But it totally seems like it does though?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

sevn wrote:> You Linux Desktop Environment doesn't understand .lnk files

But it totally seems like it does though?
You can associate .lnk files with Wine... That's hardly support though!

Windows .lnk files cannot be loaded in your Desktop Environment (native Linux) application menus...

Bob
sevn
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sevn »

Ahaa

I'm beginning to understand.

But once again: One of the programs I'm installing do not offer to uncheck "create a desktop shortcut", it just creates it. So I am left with both the .Ink and the wine shortcut. Both seem to work fine, but is one of them "more correct" to use?