General questions about iCCup Launcher

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
sevn
Level 2
Level 2

General questions about iCCup Launcher

Post by sevn »

I submitted test results of me trying to play DotA with the iCCup Launcher yesterday.

I downloaded the latest version of iCCup and DotA directly from iCCup's website.

I was uncertain about how to check which version of iCCup it was, but certainly it was the latest version since it was indeed a fresh download. I just set the version number to match the number that was displayed in the upper right corner of the launcher in the "about" section.

Regardless, the super maintainer (I suppose it was the super maintainer) of the iCCup Launcher AppDB entry changed the version number of my submitted test results to iCCup version 1.6 without any message whatsoever about why.

But the thing that really confuses me is that it exists one test result for a iCCup version 1.7.

So I have many unanswered questions about this.

1. What is the latest version of iCCup and how do I find it out?

2. How come my test result was changed by the maintainers to a version that was lower in number than another test result even though it was a fresh download?

3. How do one become a super maintainer and what are the qualifications needed?

4. Has anyone in this forum successfully managed to play DotA through the iCCup Launcher, if so, how? Would you mind explaining in detail the download and installation process?

Cheers
dimesio

Re: General questions about iCCup Launcher

Post by dimesio »

sevn wrote:2. How come my test result was changed by the maintainers to a version that was lower in number than another test result even though it was a fresh download?
You'll have to ask the maintainer that; we're not mind readers. You can PM any maintainer by clicking his/her name on the AppDB page. Or you can post your question in the comments section on the AppDB page.
3. How do one become a super maintainer and what are the qualifications needed?
Click the "Be a supermaintainer" button on the main app page and fill out the form. Qualifications are owning the app/game, knowing how to use it in Wine, and being willing to do the work.
sevn
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sevn »

dimesio wrote:You can PM any maintainer by clicking his/her name on the AppDB page. Or you can post your question in the comments section on the AppDB page.
Hmm, I can't seem to find the maintainers' name nor the comment section you speak of. That is strange.
sevn
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sevn »

New question relevant to thread topic, but separate from OP:

(I am using Trisquel 8 for reference)

When I download iCCup Launcher from their site I get "iccup_launcher_setup.exe" which I then right click on and then I click on "Open With Wine Windows Program Loader". An installing session is started and when it is finished I am actually left with two shortcuts on my desktop.

One shortcut has the regular iCCup icon (though not precise similar to the icon you get by installing it in Windows, it is surrounded by a "white background" that sort of looks like a paper sheet. And it's name is "iCCup Launcher.Ink"

The second shortcut I am left with on my desktop has a glass of red wine as an icon (I suppose this is the generic Wine symbol/icon). And it's name is simply "iCCup Launcher.

Now I have two questions:

1. What is the reason why I am left with two icons and why are they the way they are?

2. If there is one icon that is "more" legit than the other, which one is it?

I am afraid that if I run the program using the wrong shortcut, something will go wrong. I want to know the proper way to install/run the program to limit any kind of mistakes.
sevn
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sevn »

sevn wrote:Hmm, I can't seem to find the maintainers' name nor the comment section you speak of. That is strange.
Never mind, I found it,but I as unable to comment because there were no maintainers.
But I submitted a request to become one.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@sevn,

I accepted your test submission...

You were a bit vague about what version of iCCup Launcher you had installed...
So I downloaded and installed it... The application has no version information embedded in the Windows PE launcher file or the installer.
I tested this with pev.

iCCup Launcher does clearly create a registry key listing it's version listed as 1.6.
This key is only stored by Wine - the application specifies the contents.
You can confirm this yourself, either by running:

Code: Select all

wine uninstaller
or

wine regedit
and searching for iCCup.

I clearly stated what I had done, in the acknowledgement comment you should have been emailed.
My comment is not stored on the WineHQ Website - because it is only sent as an acknowledgement email.

The Developer of the iCCup launcher has no version history available on their website, or even a version listed for the launcher you are currently downloading...
So it's not surprising their version numbering going backwards on AppDB... :roll:

Bob
sevn
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sevn »

Bob Wya wrote:I clearly stated what I had done, in the acknowledgement comment you should have been emailed.
Oh, I must've missed that, pardon me.
Bob Wya wrote: iCCup Launcher does clearly create a registry key listing it's version listed as 1.6.
This key is only stored by Wine - the application specifies the contents.
You can confirm this yourself, either by running:

wine uninstaller
Aha! But then, shouldn't the old test report that has stated 1.7 as the version be deleted? And send a message to the person created it explaining the reason?

Cheers! :)
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

sevn wrote: Aha! But then, shouldn't the old test report that has stated 1.7 as the version be deleted? And send a message to the person created it explaining the reason?
We'll you're the Super-maintainer for this application now!
What you could do is mark 1.7 obsolete.

I (personally) generally avoid making assumptions about version numbering / history...
Especially since, in this case, the Developer is supplying no information about their versioning history.

Perhaps put in a little write up on how to get your iCCup version - would steer people to the correct version number??!

Just my $0.02 8)
Bob