How to change "Hardcoded" cursor icons back

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
kktsuri
Level 2
Level 2

How to change "Hardcoded" cursor icons back

Post by kktsuri »

Ok, first I admit, I haven't really updated wine in a long time, because it just worked for me, so I don't know exactly when this happened (between v2 and v3).

I'm using a Windows classic theme with classic cursor icons that I like. And all worked fine.

But it seems Wine now automatically uses its own cursor icons or something when resizing its own "windows"? I mean those windows that are decorated with wine's own titlebar and so on (not by the window manager -- e.g. windows within app window). Before, it used the same icons as what the system's theme was, which was perfectly fine. But not anymore. This really bugs me. I really like the classic feel & icons and can't stand the modern flat "design" (including its cursors).

I'm talking about the cursor changing into the "arrows" when resizing the edge or corner of a window. Those "arrows" are not from the system theme anymore, but wine's own (which happens to be smaller/fatter, not sure how to explain, not as pointy)

Is there a way to force wine to use the system cursor icons for resizing and whatever else I missed? Do I have to edit a .dll with icons on every install? (hope not, that'd be a pain!)

I just want the Windows 2000 classic look back. (note that this thread is about the cursor icon, not anything else)
dimesio

Re: How to change "Hardcoded" cursor icons back

Post by dimesio »

I hadn't noticed that, but I can see it in the palette windows in Photoshop CS2. If this is a regression, you should run a regression test and file a bug for it. https://wiki.winehq.org/Regression_Testing
kktsuri
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kktsuri »

Oh, I thought it was an intentional change that (hopefully) had an option to change it back. I never did any bisection regression hunting before (only compiled wine once) but I'll try, thanks for the pointer. :)
kktsuri
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kktsuri »

Ok, I've done the regression test and found this commit:
32ccc0b9e0f1536655b7fca6e68823e1bf05374a is the first bad commit
commit 32ccc0b9e0f1536655b7fca6e68823e1bf05374a
Author: Alexandre Julliard <[email protected]>
Date: Fri Jul 14 12:46:45 2017 +0200

user32: New high resolution cursors generated from SVG.

Based on a cursor set published by Ludvig Hummel under the X11 license.

Signed-off-by: Alexandre Julliard <[email protected]>

:040000 040000 bc61cafa0d7f95b519fb91875fa3085ca1ffffe4 f9fc1db316529e3d61a9abd89e82babd7e1061c7 M dlls
This looks "intended" to me, or am I wrong? Or maybe the bug was there all along but only crept in now that there's new cursors or something.

Should I file a bug report or can you talk to the devs on my behalf? I don't know if it's intended, and in such case it's probably not a bug...

But would be nice to know how to "disable" the new cursors and go back to before (if not a bug), that's why I posted on forum. I tried to revert it in git master branch, but obviously since it's quite old it failed to revert it.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

I would file a bug; it's not really clear what was intended, and at the very least, asking for a way to make Wine use your preferred cursors seems like a valid enhancement request.
kktsuri
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kktsuri »

Alright thanks for the help, hope they at least consider it.
kktsuri
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kktsuri »

Gah, sorry, forgot to link the bug report and only realized it now: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=44843