Game changes screen but doesn't display

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
dragonbite

Game changes screen but doesn't display

Post by dragonbite »

I'm not sure if I am describing it well enough, so here goes.

I am running Lubuntu 17.10 on a Dell laptop with a Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller.

I installed Wine and am trying to run this game: Dungeons & Dragons Online: Eberron Unlimited (https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... n&iId=2910) which has a Gold rating.

When I run the game, I get to the screens that update the game, allows you to log in and pick the server.

After that the launcher closes and the game itself is supposed to start. It starts up in a 1024x768 resolution and cuts off the sides for my screen. This is usually no problem as once I can get in, I can change the resolution to something that fills the screen. At least this is what I have to do when I run it on a Windows 10 hard disk on this same device (2 hard drives I swap out).

Unfortunately the screen squashes to the 1024x768 portion of the window and that's it. So long as I don't click on the Dungeons and Dragons game in the Task Manager, I can click around and into the other windows. Once I click on the game then the screen ceases to register clicks or keystrokes (like Ctrl + Tab).

I did read on https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... iId=2910​​ about to ​​Set Direct Draw Renderer to OpenGL which I tried by running

Code: Select all

winetricks ddr=opengl
but that didn't do anything.

I haven't found any logs to give more information but will look for them if you can give me some suggestions on where.

I am really hoping to get this working because it is like the only thing that keeps my Windows hard drive being used. Since Windows 10 has an opengl issue, I can't run the Java version of Minecraft or Blender in Windows but I can in Linux.

Thank you.
froschmaterial
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Game changes screen but doesn't display

Post by froschmaterial »

I haven't found any logs to give more information but will look for them if you can give me some suggestions on where.
Have you tried to run the app launcher from the console? That should give you the log output (which you could pipe in a file).

As they write the installed app should be in

$WINEPREFIX/drive_c/Program Files/Turbine/Dungeons and Dragons Online
which usually translates to

cd "$HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/drive_c/Program Files/Turbine/Dungeons and Dragons Online/"
and finding the executable there. You then execute it from there with wine by providing the executable as a parameter e.g.

wine TurbineLauncher.exe
The wine documentation describes nicely how to activate specific debug channels, so you'd get more useful log output. Note that they recommend a "clean wineprefix". The documentation also describes how to switch to another wineprefix, a fresh wine tree in $home assigned to this app exclusively and unencumbered by changes made for other wine software installations you made previously.

https://wiki.winehq.org/Wine_User%27s_G ... s_programs Section 3
dragonbite

Post by dragonbite »

I navigated to where the .exe is and ran the TurbineLauncher.exe and got the following message

$ wine ./TurbineLauncher.exe 
err:d3d:wined3d_adapter_find_polyoffset_scale PolygonOffset scale factor detection failed, using fallback value 2^23.
err:d3d:wined3d_adapter_find_polyoffset_scale PolygonOffset scale factor detection failed, using fallback value 2^23.
I wasn't sure if this would show anything because the TurbineLauncher.exe I thought just handles logging in and picking the server, and then calls dndclient.exe.
froschmaterial
Level 2
Level 2

Post by froschmaterial »

1) Follow the instructions and try a clean wineprefix as they recommend.

2) wine --version
should specify which version you are using. If the version is < 3 you may want to update your wine installation using the packages from winehq.

3) Search the winehq bug database of existing, e.g. using the phrase "fullscreen".

4) If you don't find it you should open a bug in the wine bug data base. The bug title should mention the affected app and the behaviour. E.g. "No fullscreen in Dungeons & Dragons Online: Eberron Unlimited"
Mention your wine version, your hardware specs, esp. graphic card, the download link for the installer and possibly a hashsum of the installer exe. Also the number of the app in the appdb. I guess it is wise to set component in which it fails to directx. Attach the output as above as a text file to the bug report. It is also nice to add a screenshot of the failing behaviour.