GAMEPAD

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
The Major
Level 1
Level 1

GAMEPAD

Post by The Major »

is there any 'normal' way to get my generic usb gamepad to work with games I install on my Ubuntu laptop (regardless of how the games may or may not have been installed such as with WineTridks, PlayOnLinux, etc., or even if they are Linux games already compatible/running with Linux even without emulators, etc.) when using the WINdowsEmulator (aka "WINE") without some keyboard mapping app like QJOYPAD (ie like some gamepad/joystick driver install)?
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: GAMEPAD

Post by jkfloris »

If your gamepad is recognized by Ubuntu (/dev/input/js0) Wine should also recognize it. You can test your gamepad with

Code: Select all

wine control
The Major
Level 1
Level 1

Post by The Major »

control panel shows gamepad, and tests work too - just dead in games (tomb raider II, tomb raider level editor, pacman, gltron, etc.).

Qjoypad will work with mapping keyboard for game after setting up, and after remembering to launch it and select game from its list before launching game... just wish there was better way to use gamepad for games that have their own control mapping settings.
The Major
Level 1
Level 1

Post by The Major »

Don't know it it could make any difference, but I'm running Ubuntu 17.10, 32-bit, on a toughbook laptop... could it be ubuntu's 'latest' is not quite fully "compatible" with the WINdowsEmulator?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@The Major,

You might want to take a look at Lutris since Wine does not make it that easy to configure joysticks and game controllers.
This is information I've read from numerous sources - I don't have either type of device myself...

See also: A Step-by-Step Guide to Make Controllers Work in WINE , for the DIY approach (though the article may be slightly dated now).

Wine (or Wine Staging) 3.3 finally integrates some SDL2 controller support.
I understand controllers are mapped through with the standard Xbox Controller layout mapping - with no flexibility to change this at present (not too sure though??!!)

Bob