Heroes of the Storm on Mint 18.3 KDE

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
achobanov
Level 1
Level 1

Heroes of the Storm on Mint 18.3 KDE

Post by achobanov »

Hello,

I'm trying to get HoTS working on my Mint laptop. I've spent at least 10 whole hours now, reading topics, testing different approaches and solutions and nothing works so far. The best I've got at is successful installation of Battle.net and HoTS. However when I run the game it crashes, in both 64/32bit mode. When I start Battle.net app, I get a "Program error" pop-up, which I suspect is part of the problem. Previously it was unable to generate the Error message.

Just now I removed wine and re-installed it (staging included). Then I ran Battle.net install exe again, which launched the client without installation at all. I guess the files remain from my previous attempt. I would have deleted all wine relevant files manually, then reinstalled again, but I noticed that this time the error pop-up generates an error message, so here I am.

Full error: Error paste
I hope this is relevant. I really want to get this working in order to completely rid myself off Windows on my laptop.

More information about my attempts:
- I am using latest staging version, installed as per official wine staging instructions for my OS
- I have tried checking and un-checking different options under winecfg > staging
- I have tried adding library overrides on HoTS exe: dbghelp (disable) and some others. I read about them in several posts.
- GPU: Radeon HD 7500m series

Can anyone help out with this?
giaco79
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Heroes of the Storm on Mint 18.3 KDE

Post by giaco79 »

Hello,

I haven't tried for a while, but I was able to run HotS on Wine Staging 2.21.

I ran Wine on a 64bit prefix (WINEARCH=win64) but in the launch game options inside Battle Net I specified:
- run 32bit client
- in additional commandline options I specified -dx9 to run using DirectX 9

Those tips can be found in many places around the internet, so it's possible that you already tried them.
There were other options in winecfg that affected the window manager integration, but they didn't really make it crash more or less.
Maybe they don't work anymore in more recent versions of the game, Blizzard might have dropped support for DirectX 9, and the Wine Direct X 11 implementation of wine might not be good enough yet.
achobanov
Level 1
Level 1

Post by achobanov »

Thanks giaco79!

That did it. I hadn't tried -dx9. I guess the problem is with wine dx11, as you suggested. I managed to run the game, watch the trailer and it is now updating. Should work now.

However a small issue remains. The error message. It keeps on popping, while Battle.net is running. Do you have any idea how to silence that error?
Attachments
popup-error.png
giaco79
Level 2
Level 2

Post by giaco79 »

Hello,

I'm glad it helped!
Agent.exe might be required to run the Battle.net app, so there might not be way around it while Battle.net is running.
However it might not be required while the game is running. Is that error message popping up also while you play?

There is usually a few seconds delay between when you have clicked on "play" and when the game runs.
You could try, in that interval, to kill the Battle.net and the Agent with a command like:

Code: Select all

killall Battle.net.exe && killall Agent.exe