What in the world of winetricks is a "package"?

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Gregory

What in the world of winetricks is a "package"?

Post by Gregory »

I am trying to run winetricks (so that I can use some LiDAR data tools). I finally got something to boot up - there is a window that comes up. At the top it says “Which package(s) would you like to install?”

What is a "package"? How do I know which package(s) to choose?

Thank you.
dimesio

Re: What in the world of winetricks is a "package"?

Post by dimesio »

I gather you selected "Install an application" from the first window, which asks "What do you want to do?" The packages are the applications that can be installed via winetricks. There should be a list of the available ones with their titles, publisher, year, and media below that question. You should choose the application you want to install, and if you don't know what you want to install, why are you using winetricks in the first place?
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

dimesio wrote:I gather you selected "Install an application" from the first window, which asks "What do you want to do?"
No, there was no first window; it went directly to a window which said to select the packages I want to install.
dimesio wrote:The packages are the applications that can be installed via winetricks. There should be a list of the available ones with their titles, publisher, year, and media below that question. You should choose the application you want to install, and if you don't know what you want to install, why are you using winetricks in the first place?
Does "install" mean the same as "run"? All I want to do, in fact, is to run applications - the various LAStools such as lasview.exe.

I very well know what I want to run, or "install", if that means the same thing as "run". However, the window listed no, none, zero applications.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Winetricks installs applications; it's not used to run them. But are you even sure you're running winetricks? It should look like the attached screenshots.
Attachments
Winetricks add application menu
Winetricks add application menu
Winetricks main menu
Winetricks main menu
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

Hmm... Something is amiss; it looks like I'm not running winetricks after all. Or not "fully", anyway.