Some help knowing where to get started

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
supagu

Some help knowing where to get started

Post by supagu »

I have a program called "Accordance" which I would like to get working in Wine.
It seems to have some rendering glitches.

Here is a video I recorded of the problem:
https://youtu.be/9ore5Kulqd4

I've checked ou the wine source and and compiling it at the moment. I am wondering how I can track down the issue and go about fixing it?

I did see this tip about visual glitches:
Visual glitches are best debugged by looking at the styles given by the application to the offending control, then simply reading the widget code by hand. There are no fancy tricks you can use here, you just have to play with the drawing code and see if you can figure out where the problem is. Fortunately, native Windows 98 ["Comctl32"] works well, so you can always use that as a reference.
from https://wiki.winehq.org/Debugging_Hints

but there is still no further details on how one might go about doing that.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Some help knowing where to get started

Post by Bob Wya »

supagu wrote:I have a program called "Accordance" which I would like to get working in Wine.
It seems to have some rendering glitches.
I've checked out the wine source and and compiling it at the moment. I am wondering how I can track down the issue and go about fixing it?

I did see this tip about visual glitches:
Visual glitches are best debugged by looking at the styles given by the application to the offending control, then simply reading the widget code by hand. There are no fancy tricks you can use here, you just have to play with the drawing code and see if you can figure out where the problem is. Fortunately, native Windows 98 ["Comctl32"] works well, so you can always use that as a reference.
from https://wiki.winehq.org/Debugging_Hints

but there is still no further details on how one might go about doing that.
Easy Road 8)

Triage and tidy up your issue into a WineHQ bug report...

The first thing would be to ensure you have an up-to-date version of Wine (currently: 3.0 / 3.1), for your unspecified Operating System.
See: WineHQ Wiki: Download.

Post the stdout+stderr terminal output from running your application with Wine.
See: WineHQ FAQ: 10.1.1 How can I get a debugging log (a.k.a. terminal output)?

Please use the forum Code:

Code: Select all

Code
tags - when you post terminal output+commands inline.

Hard Road :? :shock: :o

If you know the Windows API inside out and are a confident C developer - then feel free to take the hard road...

Building Wine from Source is generally not recommended - unless you are wanting to develop patches for Wine or are running a source-based distribution liking Gentoo.

The Wiki Documentation you linked to mainly aimed at Wine Developers or people that want to hack on an area of the project.
I couldn't tell a regular end user of Wine to start messing about with strace or dtrace and expect them to understand the logs from these utilities! :wink:

Ta
Bob