MOULa chat keyboard issue + workaround - cause?

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Narameh

MOULa chat keyboard issue + workaround - cause?

Post by Narameh »

Dear all,

Huzzah, my first post :). I have very recently joined the legions of excited Wine users.

I have recently installed MOULa (Myst Online Uru Live again), and troubleshooted all the issues I had with existing help online (getting the sound working, several different crashes, issues with the cursor, etc). One issue remained, for which I now have a workaround, but I am wondering what is going on under the hood and whether there is a better way to fix this.

Issue description:
Once in the game, I cannot set keybindings, and although I can type text as if to chat, pressing enter does not send the chat message, it just stays there as if I did not press enter. Very rarely continually pressing enter will get a message through. Running in terminal does not output any errors.

Workaround: Note, I currently run via PlayOnLinux, but the exact same issue occured when I ran from WINE directly. When I open a cmd prompt via the config page of PlayOnLinux, a WINE desktop opens and I get a windows command prompt. I have to alt-tab out and return to be able to use the keyboard. When I navigate to the directory my game is in and run it via the cmd terminal, I have to alt-tab out and return again, but then the game runs normally and I can chat and change keybindings as you would expect. I have written a batch script saved in the directory where the cmd prompt starts to navigate to the correct dir and start the game to make things a bit easier, and posted a question on the POL forums (https://www.playonlinux.com/en/topic-15732.html) to see whether I can open this prompt from terminal somehow so I can just write a bash script to run the whole thing in one go.

Question: Does anyone have the faintests idea WHY this works, and whether there is a better, cleaner way to fix this? Many thanks!

I am running Xubuntu 16.04 with Wine 3.0-rc6 in Windows 10 mode via PlayOnLinux 4.2.10 on a Dell Inspiron 15 7548.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: MOULa chat keyboard issue + workaround - cause?

Post by jkfloris »

Not an answer on your question, but you can run the .bat file directly from bash
viewtopic.php?t=8795
in Windows 10 mode
Do you also have this issue in Windows XP mode?