Clock Cycles / Turbo Button Feature

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
OddQuestions

Clock Cycles / Turbo Button Feature

Post by OddQuestions »

I used wine back in the day and I used it for one purpose: Gaming. Back then, WINE shared the same cross-platform gaming purpose as of other programs I won't mention (Wine Is Not a E_______).

One of the features those other programs had was a toggle-able button I could hold down to run the game at more cycles. Since my superior hardware had the resources to do this continuously, it allowed things like skipping load times. I remember how painful it was to switch to normally run games without this feature. Every second the program wasn't responding to my inputs and I wasn't intently watching its outputs was a second wasted.

Now that the Linux subystem for windows is out of beta, I'm considering running WINE on windows 10. This would provide a separate environment with which to run games. Can WINE be made to frameskip or adjust CPU usage like that forbidden fruit of a turbo button I enjoyed long ago? If this feature is not currently implemented, are there plans to do so?
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Clock Cycles / Turbo Button Feature

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Since it's not an emulator, that's probably gonna be tough. I mean, there sure is some way to hack the game so it runs faster by patching code that limits its framerate (or such), but I doubt there ever will be a turbo button in WINE.