Nothing happens when running SimCoaster from command line

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
hwallis93

Nothing happens when running SimCoaster from command line

Post by hwallis93 »

Hello Wine community,

I am trying to use Wine to run SimCoaster - a game with Platinum rating (albeit a little old):
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=17478

I'm running on ubuntu 16.04 and using wine version "wine-3.0-rc6" I installed wine on my system by following the instructions on this page: https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu. I chose to install the development branch. Once wine was installed I looked at the configuration using "winecfg" and changed the windows version to XP - this game was originally developed for win 95 but I know win XP supports it. There wasn't an option to change to an older windows version than XP.

The game is on a CD, I cd'd to the CD and ran "wine installer.exe", this ran the installer which seemed to work fine but the terminal stdout was spammed with

Code: Select all

0036:err:ole:ClientIdentity_QueryMultipleInterfaces IRemUnknown_RemQueryInterface failed with error 0x80004002

The install seemed to complete fine and the files were added to "~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)"

I cd'd to the game's directory within "drive_c" and ran "wine Game.exe" - then nothing happened. The command "completed" (ie I got my terminal prompt line back) but nothing else happened, no logs to screen or anything. I tried executing the game using the entire filepath (which is suggested somewhere) but got the same result.

If anyone knows of anything I can do to get this running or some visibility into why it's failing I'd be so grateful (and will definitely be donating to Wine if I can get it working eventually ;) )

I'm also more than happy to try anything people suggest or provide logs/diagnostics that might help

Thanks,
Henry
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Nothing happens when running SimCoaster from command lin

Post by Bob Wya »

hwallis93 wrote:...
There wasn't an option to change to an older windows version than XP.
Yeah don't use the default of a 64-bit WINEPREFIX for such an old game... Use a 32-bit WINEPREFIX.
See: WineHQ FAQ: 6.5.3 How do I create a 32 bit wineprefix on a 64 bit system?

If you can't get a game to start it's worth running the Unix strings utility on the Windows lnk file associated with the application - which Wine should create automatically in the Desktop directory:

~/.wine/drive_c/users/${USER}/Desktop
E.g. for the UPlay client:

strings 'Uplay.lnk' | grep 'C:'
C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\Uplay.exe
So you would use:

wine start 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\Uplay.exe'
Note the quotes (the BASH shell will strip escape characters).

Also typically:

cd ~/"drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Ubisoft/Ubisoft Game Launcher"
wine Uplay.exe
would also work just fine (similar to what you have done)...

However sometimes game executables need to be run in the main game directory - above the games bin directory - which holds the executables.
E.g. as an example see WineHQ AppDB: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Lost Alpha / Launching the Game section...

Bob