Running Steam

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
thunder17

Running Steam

Post by thunder17 »

I am a linux noob trying to learn how to use wine on my ThinkPad. I run Manjaro and i3. I have been trying to revisit some of my childhood games by playing the old Jedi Knight games, but unfortunately I cannot get them to run. I have them downloaded, and can get one (mysteries of the sith) to run, but the rest won't work. I'll try to give a rundown of what happens when I attempt to run the game: I click on the play link and a prompt comes up saying that it needs to update microsoft directx, then it disappears after loading. Next to the name of the game it says "syncing," but then it stops completely.

I have tried a few different things to get it working like running winetricks and trying to download the dll's directly.

If anyone has any ideas or can offer any assistance, it would be greatly appreciated!
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Running Steam

Post by Bob Wya »

@thunder17,

So not so much "Running Steam" as "Running Steam games"...??!! :wink:

Since Steam spawns games off from the client process...
Your best bet is to launch Steam - to avoid any DRM issues:

Code: Select all

wine Steam.exe -no-cef-sandbox
Then for the same WINEPREFIX... Launch your game directly from the terminal and capture a terminal log for the game.
E.g.

wine Steam.exe steam://rungameid/32390 &>~/wine_jedi_knight_mysteries_of_the_sith_log.txt
See: WineHQ FAQ: 10.1.1 How can I get a debugging log (a.k.a. terminal output)?
See: Steam browser protocol ...

If you don't have a real graphics card in your laptop - then you might want to doink this Wine debug channel - before running the misbehaving game(s)...

export WINEDEBUG=+wgl
Please post the debug logs to a pastebin-esque site - unless they are very short...
A proper text file handling site is a lot easier to wade through!
Then your can post the URL to your log here.
Bonus points for posting a URL link to the "raw" terminal log. 8)

Bob