How Does DLLs Work With Winehq-Stable?

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Paragraph

How Does DLLs Work With Winehq-Stable?

Post by Paragraph »

So I'm wondering how DLLs work with Wine. I'm using Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS, and I have a dual boot with Windows 10. I followed the directions at wiki.ubuntu.org/Ubuntu for the Stable branch. I at first followed a guide to get DirectX, and the guide had said to add DLLs by downloading them and moving them to the system32 folder of Wine. But then I realized that if I could add DLLs like this, then I should be able to just copy and paste all the DLLs that are inside my Windows 10 install System32 folder to Wine's System32 folder. But how exactly do adding DLLs like this work? Does Wine automatically recognize them and use them? Do I need to add DLL Overrides in the Library tab of the Wine configuration window? I'm new to Wine, so I don't know much about anything.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: How Does DLLs Work With Winehq-Stable?

Post by DarkShadow44 »

First and foremost, you shouldn't need to use native dlls like directx dlls unless you have specific issues.

If you actually need a native dll, you need to add an override, then wine uses them instead of its own dlls. But often this is not needed at all, and it might even cause problems.