Wine-staging or Wine 3.0? DX11 on Nvidia?

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
pedrofleck

Wine-staging or Wine 3.0? DX11 on Nvidia?

Post by pedrofleck »

Hi,
I bought a new GPU (GTX 1060 GB) and now I'm back to the gaming life, but I'm a little lost with the state of Wine, I saw that 3.0 supports DX11 (but only on AMD and Intel), but it seems that Wine-staging 2.21 also support it. What should I use for better performance? Is there a way to play DX11 games on Wine with a Nvidia (prop. blob)?
Thanks!
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Wine-staging or Wine 3.0? DX11 on Nvidia?

Post by Cybermax »

Yes, no... maybe :)

As with anything wine, your experience may vary.

1. Wine 3.0 supports DX11 on "all", and not only Intel and AMD. They have improved code for those two, but will work with nVidia too..
2. As of now, there is no "staging" support for Wine 3.0, so a lot of the patches needed for things like Origin, Battle.net, Steam.. and thing is not included. You can probably get notepad to work tho, so do your own tests :)

2.18-2.21-staging works with many games with DX11, so I would test one of those first. Hopefully 3.0 will get the needed staging patches and things get rolling, but probably going to take some time still (escpecially since its only in early rc staged).

C
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

Unigine Heaven 4.0 Basic works with DX11 under Wine-3.0_rc1.

Although it has that bug where vsync is enabled, it works. (Oh, and make sure CSMT is disabled in the registry, cos performance with it enabled is horrible... especially if you have a nVidia card and use __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATION=1)

The DX11 vsync issue was fixed in wine-staging-2.18, but is not yet included in wine-development release.

C
garpu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by garpu »

Cybermax wrote: 2. As of now, there is no "staging" support for Wine 3.0, so a lot of the patches needed for things like Origin, Battle.net, Steam.. and thing is not included. You can probably get notepad to work tho, so do your own tests :)
So staging is in a freeze, too? Was concerned that it was abandoned, although I thought it was now a part of WINE, proper?
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

garpu wrote:So staging is in a freeze, too? Was concerned that it was abandoned, although I thought it was now a part of WINE, proper?
Staging is a part of WineHQ site/devs from what i understand, but is still meant to be for a place to test early patches before they are implemented in wine-stable.

From what i have gathered so far on the development stage you have:

Wine-stable : Stable release - as of now 2.0.3
Wine-dev: Development release - as of now 3.0-rc1 (Will be wine-stable-3.0)
Wine-staging: Patches not accepted for wine-dev, that perhaps needs more testing - As of now wine-staging-2.21.

Hopefully there are works at play for getting wine-staging to patch wine-dev, although the changes are many, so a simple rebase is not enough to bring wine-staging up to wine-dev-3.0-rc1 (is my guestimate). Staging is going to be needed a long time still for wine, as most bugs/fixes that staging fixes, is still not fixed in wine-3.0-rc1. I also mistakenly thought that "staging" was implemented in 3.0, but its not like that at all..

Afaik there was not a wine-staging for all of the wine-2.0-rcx releases before 2.0 stable (just rc4-6), so id think we would not see a proper release until wine-3.0 is at its later stages of RC's. (Atleast i hope).

Even tho im complaining about the dev cycle of wine, i still live in the hopes that 3.0 will bring some performance back in DX11, cos there has been a slight decline from 2.18 -> 2.21. staging-2.0 still has the best DX9 performance by far, but since its no longer focused upon by staging, some needed patches is not up-to-date there, and newer and more interesting games is DX11/12 theese days.

So there you have it, my perception of what's going on. wine-dev fixing bugs posted on bugzilla, while implementing some of the "staging" patches, while staging has its own bug/patchlist :) Sad part is that the difference is sometimes very huge in what works and not in terms of popular games... I would like wine-staging to be 8-10 patches in the works as a "testing" ground, while wine-dev was what wine-staging is today, but thats not how its done :)

C