WinPcap and Wine

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
K01

WinPcap and Wine

Post by K01 »

Hey Everyone!

I know this topic has been going on a lot and i search every ware for the problem i facing trying to find any solutions.
i have a Windows application that required WinPcap to be installed to run correctly.

i read someone saying it is imposable to do! and other has find a way around it (Bug 21571).
and i think Wine now has wrappers for the pcap but it did not work!

it will appreciated for any advice about the Wine and WinPcap current situation.

Thanks!
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: WinPcap and Wine

Post by DarkShadow44 »

It should work, wine has a wrapper for wpcap. What program are you trying to run?
K01

Post by K01 »

something like Wireshark, when i install Wireshark i can't find any interfaces on it to capture the packets.

when i install WinPcap it show an error in the installation process:
"an error occurred while installing the Microsoft Network Monitor Drive (NetMon)"

- Note: the program is not Wireshark, but if Wireshark worked the program that i'm using will work.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Isn't a linux program an alternative? Such programs aren't easy on wine.
madewokherd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by madewokherd »

Wine contains a builtin replacement for winpcap (wpcap.dll). You shouldn't need to install the Windows version, and it won't work.

For wine's pcap replacement to work, you will need libpcap to be present (including a 32-bit version, if your windows program is 32-bit) and configured for your user. You will also need Wine to be built with pcap support, which you can check by looking for wpcap.dll.so in /usr/lib/wine and /usr/lib64/wine.