Wine identified as a new computer every time...

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
ssorgatem

Wine identified as a new computer every time...

Post by ssorgatem »

I'm playing a game, Elder Scrolls Online, that works great so far. But there's one little annoying thing that's probably easy to fix or workaround.

The game has a login screen, and after login, it will prompt for a confirmation code, that is send via email, whenever you login from a new computer, as a security reason.

The problem:
I open the game, try to login, requests access code... ok

I close the game... wait for a few minutes, open the game again... it will ask again for an access code because it thinks it's again running on a different computer.

If I open the game immediately after closing it, it doesn't happen, even if it's just open at the login screen being logged out.

So I could keep the game open at all times to avoid that... but that's inefficient.
This also means that whenever I reboot, I need new access codes.

So the thing is: the game is looking for something to identify the computer it runs on and check whether it's a new one or not.
I've already checked all the game settings files and even monitored what files it creates and such on different prefixes, to no avail.

So.. any ideas on what could it be that is making the game think it's a different computer every time? Maybe some registry key?
Maybe it has something to do with the wineserver process?

Any ideas wuld be greatly appreciated.

PS: I'm running the latest wine version built from source, with staging patches. Staging or no staging, it makes no difference on this (already tried).
dimesio

Re: Wine identified as a new computer every time...

Post by dimesio »